AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 50"-60" television and have a strong preference for a Plasma screen (although I'm open to LEDs). My budget is around $1000.

It's likely that the TV will be in a room with a couple of windows, so I won't have complete control over the lighting situation. I've been looking into the Panasonics, and people seem to be impressed by the filter on the ST-series and up. According to Amazon, the 50" ST50 costs about the same as the newer 50" S60 TVs. Is the filter on the ST series worth going with an older model, or do the improvements on the newer S-model outweigh the costs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmonty28  /t/1473041/panasonic-st50-vs-s60#post_23323733

I'm in the market for a 50"-60" television and have a strong preference for a Plasma screen (although I'm open to LEDs). My budget is around $1000.

It's likely that the TV will be in a room with a couple of windows, so I won't have complete control over the lighting situation. I've been looking into the Panasonics, and people seem to be impressed by the filter on the ST-series and up. According to Amazon, the 50" ST50 costs about the same as the newer 50" S60 TVs. Is the filter on the ST series worth going with an older model, or do the improvements on the newer S-model outweigh the costs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you are getting a new tv, I would go for this years 2013 ST60 model instead of last years, not saying last years is bad, it's definitely not but if it was me, I would just go for the latest. Yes the ST60 has the filter and is better looking, aesthetically , slight better blacks too. But if you game I heard the S60 has better input lag for games. So it's your choice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the ST50 and I love it. I couldn't ask for a better tv as a gamer. I haven't really used it for Blu-rays yet. Personally I'd go for the ST50 over the S60. The filter is definitely worth it. Where do you see that the ST50 is around the same price as the S60? Are you referring to the used ST50s? I would stay away from used when it comes to HDTVs. On Amazon a brand new S60 is $699.99 and the ST50 is $987.36.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts