AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question. I've got a 60 inch ST-60 that I bought around Thanksgiving and I love it.

I need a second set for a bedroom. I've found a couple of demo ST--60s in the area.

One's a 50 inch with some missing parts for $920

The other is a 60 inch, no missing parts but possible scratch on the screen for $1250.

The other option is a new in box 50 inch s60 for between $500 and $600.

somewhat further away--another 100 miles--but I'd feel more confident making the drive for a new set.

A 50 inch would probably fit the space better, but any size would really work,

I don't need 3D or smart TV functions.

My question is pretty simple--how much am I sacrificing in picture quality with the S60?

The new TV is going into my office. It's not particularly bright but there is a skylight directly opposite.

Before you ask, it's up three flights of stairs so I don't want to move the extisting TV to "see how it looks/works"

TIA, allen

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52  /t/1526694/panasonic-st60-vs-s60-in...-mean-post-discontinuation/0_60#post_24591330

......My question is pretty simple--how much am I sacrificing in picture quality with the S60?

For watching regular HD TV programming and news and sports etc in an office environment you probably wouldn't notice much difference in picture quality between an ST60 and an S60. A friend has an S60 and his picture quality looks pretty much the same as on my ST60, with the bigger difference being that his is a little more reflective (as expected).

However if you're watching movies or doing critical viewing where you need the best picture quality then the ST60 does outperform the S60 and you would notice the differences more. But for casual viewing, the S60 is pretty close, and still better than any other TV you can currently buy with the sole exception of the $1,800 Sammy F8500 series (and they just discontinued the 51" size).

Quote:
The TV is going into my office. It's not particularly bright but there is a skylight directly opposite.

The ST60 is a little brighter than the S60 but they both perform pretty well in a semi-bright room. The ST60's filter mutes and diffuses sharp reflections better but if that skylight is directly lighting up some furniture in the room or a wall or other stuff that will be reflected in the screen then you'll still be able to see it clearly in the screen. I have a cream colored sofa in my man room and when the sun is beaming onto it and lighting it up i can clearly see it reflected in my screen while watching dark content, and in the dark areas while watching sports/news/racing etc, but they are a little muted/diffused by the AR Filter. But during bright content (sports, news, etc) both TVs are bright enough to punch through ambient room light. An S60 would show the same reflections but they would be sharp and clear and mirror like therefore a little more distracting. The problem is mostly apparent on darker content on both TVs.

Personally, unless you're watching dark movies i'd probably go with the new S60 for $600 as it's maybe 90% as good as an ST60, but it's brand new and a much better deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Randy Walters wrote a detailed reply that seems to have disappeared (but popped up in my e-mail)

Here it is (although I'm happy to take it down if its disappearance was intentional and not a tech glitch.

FWIW, I'm actally a TV writer for Forbes and I need a place where I can watch on Sunday nights and other times when the rest of the family is in bed.

So it's not just news and sports, but Game of Thrones and True Detective. And it'll be matched up with a very high end stereo--Dunlavys, and tubes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avincent52

......My question is pretty simple--how much am I sacrificing in picture quality with the S60?

For watching regular HD TV programming and news and sports etc in an office environment you probably wouldn't notice much difference in picture quality between an ST60 and an S60. A friend has an S60 and his picture quality looks pretty much the same as on my ST60, with the bigger difference being that his is a little more reflective (as expected).

Quote:

The TV is going into my office. It's not particularly bright but there is a skylight directly opposite.

The ST60 is a little brighter than the S60 but they both perform pretty well in a semi-bright room. The ST60's filter mutes sharp reflections better but if that sklylight is directly lighting up some furniture in the room or a wall or other stuff that will be reflected in the screen then you'll still be able to see it clearly in the screen. I have a cream colored sofa in my man room and when the sun is beaming onto it and lighting it up i can clearly see it reflected in my screen while watching dark content, and in the dark areas while watching sports/news/racing etc, but they are a little muted/diffused by the AR Filter. An S60 would show the same reflections but they would be sharp and clear and mirror like and a little more distracting.

Personally, i'd probably go with the new S60 for $600 as it's maybe 90% as good as an ST60, but it's brand new and a much better deal.

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avincent52  /t/1526694/panasonic-st60-vs-s60-in...-mean-post-discontinuation/0_60#post_24591510

Thanks for the replies. Randy Walters wrote a detailed reply that seems to have disappeared (but popped up in my e-mail) Here it is (although I'm happy to take it down if its disappearance was intentional and not a tech glitch.

Yeah i was editing it then i screwed it up, so i deleted it and pasted the corrected post

1 - 6 of 6 Posts