AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered a Panny STB for my new HDTV setup and I am wondering what kind of problems this particular receiver has had. I remember reading a post by someone talking about how bad these receivers are. You got me worrying...

·
Registered
780 Posts
The major complaint has been slow to very slow surfing from channel to channel and slow response time to the remote.

I have experience with only one of the Pany HDTV STB (set it for a friend) and once we programed the remote codes into a HTM MX 500 learning remote, it performed quite well. It would seem that the Pany remote is half or more of the problem.

Fan noise has bothered some, but in my friend's install, his equipment was closed off in an equipment room, so noise was a non-issue for him. YMMV.

Otherwise, PQ, etc seem quite good as displayed on his NEC LT150z projector and I did like the choice of outputs-1080i, 720p, native, etc.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
cancel the order. you will hate the box- it is the worst hd-stb ever made. any other one is a better choice. It is simply to slow to deal with. I had the original unity motion box and even that was better.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you can, I second baimo's advise. You'll be glad. However, if you can't cancel, then it's not the end of the world -- it DOES give a great picture. It's just that the thing's so slow, it get frustrating sometimes (most of the time).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The HD quality is good.

The fan a bit loud.

The channel surfing blows.

The Guide is a pain too because you can't watch or

listen to your show when the guide is up.

The biggest problem I have is if I want to watch ESPN or

anything else that is not HD, the picture quality is terrible. I am

guessing the MPEG decoder just isn't up to the quality as the

MPEG decoder in the Sony DirecTV receiver I use when I am

watching non-HD DirecTV content.

Now I only paid $200 for mine so I can't complain, too much..but

knowing what I know now, I would never buy it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.