AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Panasonic TH-42PX600U just died. It does the infamous 7 blink routine which I know from research might be possible to fix.

There is also another problem which I noticed around 24 hours after the TV stopped working. There is a squiggly "worm" line behind the glass horizontally. I have taken a picture of it which you can see here.

I spoke with Panasonic who referred me to a local repair shop. They want $150 just to come out and evaluate whether it is worth it to get repaired. I wonder if anyone can look at the picture above and tell me if it is worth fixing. Both Pansonic and the local repair company didn't know what it was based on my description (squiggly, wormly line is probably not the best way to describe it anyway
)

The TV is from Jan 07 without any extended warranties.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

I have a question and this may just be a matter of coincidence. I use a Mac Mini (new model) to play all my movies. The problem with the TV happened during an OSX update. I had exited out of Plex and noticed that the OS wanted to apply some updates. I ok'ed this and turned away to do something on my desktop. I hear a weird click in the background turn around and the screen is blank and the red dot is blinking. Now, is that just a coincidence that it would happen at the same time as the Mac Mini doing an update? Is there anything that a computer could do that would break the TV?

What could cause a cracked panel? That sounds very physical to me. I haven't moved the TV since I got it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Wow, that is something! I've read on these forums where Samsung plasmas have cracked without cause, but never a Panasonic without some help (Wii, angry girlfriend, dog, kid).

The plasma panel is the most expensive part of a plasma TV, and usually costs more to replace than what the TV is worth.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryters /forum/post/19510469

I have a question and this may just be a matter of coincidence. I use a Mac Mini (new model) to play all my movies. The problem with the TV happened during an OSX update. I had exited out of Plex and noticed that the OS wanted to apply some updates. I ok'ed this and turned away to do something on my desktop. I hear a weird click in the background turn around and the screen is blank and the red dot is blinking. Now, is that just a coincidence that it would happen at the same time as the Mac Mini doing an update? Is there anything that a computer could do that would break the TV?

It's not likely that your update caused the TV to crack, it's got to be a coincidence that the failure occurred at the same time.

Quote:
What could cause a cracked panel? That sounds very physical to me. I haven't moved the TV since I got it.

When a screen cracks "on it's own" like this it's usually from the sudden force of a component failure, and it's usually the power supply. Sometimes they pop loudly when they blow (see the notorious Vizio "Pop-of-Death" or the famous Pioneer power supply failures from 5 years ago where the owner would hear a loud pop followed by the screen shutting down). That click you heard was probably just enough to crack the panel. It's extremely rare, but there are more reports here of it happening on Samsungs and LGs (there are several threads here about it). I can only recall only one or two other instances on a Panasonic over my many years here other than your own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts