AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a 32" for a little while now (upgrading from my 27" Olevia that i have enjoyed, but i'd like more inputs and better functionality with my harmony remote, plus some more size) and i was originally looking at the Vizios at walmart ($397 LCD and $437 plasma) but I decided that if im going to buy a TV that i'm planning on keeping for probably 3+ years, i might as well spend ~$100 more to get something higher quality.

I've done a bit of research on these sets, and want to know people's personal opinions, and pros and cons between the 2. (Both $499 on newegg)

I've been leaning towards the Panasonic, but i'd like to make the most informed decision before i buy so thats why i came here

Thanks

~Will

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Panasonic TC-32LX85

Amazon owners "53 of them" posted reviews and 84% gave it 5 stars out of 5 while the remaining gave it 4 stars - not a single rating below 4 stars which is a rarity. This is perhaps the best all around 32" bargain LCD TV.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I chose the Panasonic mostly because it seemed to have the best blacks and because I have more esteem for the brand. The Panasonic LCDs also have excellent viewing angles, but I won't be viewing off-angle. I believe Panasonic has garnered more favorable reviews. You're likely aware of this, but the TC-32LX85 was rated 7.3 by CNET, while the 32CV510U was rated 6.6 and received poor marks for color accuracy. I believe the LX85 and LZ800 series LCDs have both been rated highly by Consumer Reports as well. CR recently rated 17 smaller LCDs and gave top honors to the TC-26LX85. Consumer Reports and PC World have both given higher reliability ratings to Panasonic than Toshiba, with PC World ranking Panasonic 3rd and Toshiba 13th out of 16 companies. Sorry I don't have any hands-on experience to share (beyond seeing the TVs in stores), but I haven't received my TC-32LX85 yet. My biggest concern with the Panasonic is red push, however. I was really hoping that I would be able to avoid that when buying a new TV (I'm replacing a Sony CRT with uncorrectable red push), but it sounds like all Panasonic LCDs have red push. It also looks like adjustment options in the service menu will be pretty limited, but I won't be sure until the TV arrives.

FWIW, you might want to make your decision quickly. The TC-32LX85 has already sold out at many online stores, and some of the remaining stores have raised their prices (including Newegg). I bought the TV less than a week ago, and the lowest prices I'm seeing now are $30 more than what I paid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got the 26" version of the Panasonic LX85 series, and it's an great tv; I bought it on NewEgg for $508 and free shipping, so it was quite the bargain. I read all the reviews and was aware of the red push, if you modify the tint setting, I have it set to +4, the red push goes away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought the TC-32LX85 on Monday and it's a great set. I was considering the 32CV510U as well but went with the Panasonic in the end. It has since sold out at my local PC Richard where I bought it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did a little more research and decided to go with a Samsung LN32450. The lack of a VGA input and only having 1 component input sorta lead me from the Panny to the Samsung. I'll be ordering it from Amazon today for 577 (no tax / free shipping)

I stopped by Best Buy / CC today to browse and was fairly impressed with the PQ in both instances, vs the Panny. (I know that instore is a terrible play to judge, but i messed with the settings a bit at least lol)

·
Registered
549 Posts
you should have bought the toshiba 530u at gotbetterdeals.com they are selling it for $532 bucks and it is by far the most bang for your buck.

this tv also got good reviews and it usually sells for $800 Its a very good deal and it also has a 14bit processor. the samsung is know where near as good.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I heard the Samsung LN32A450 are great, But I been reading some posts here about an audio distortion problem thats plaguing the Series 4 models. They described it as Robot Audio and it seems to only occur with the QAM tuner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/15437114

you should have bought the toshiba 530u at gotbetterdeals.com they are selling it for $532 bucks and it is by far the most bang for your buck.

this tv also got good reviews and it usually sells for $800 Its a very good deal and it also has a 14bit processor. the samsung is know where near as good.

From what people have been telling me, the Panasonic and Samsung are the top 2 32" 720p LCD panels on the market.

Also, I don't know if you have affiliation with this site, but there is no such thing as "gotbetterdeals.com, and if there was, i would not buy a TV from somewhere that i have never heard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerClaw /forum/post/15438405

I heard the Samsung LN32A450 are great, But I been reading some posts here about an audio distortion problem thats plaguing the Series 4 models. They described it as Robot Audio and it seems to only occur with the QAM tuner.

Yeah i read that too. That's not a concern to me, I will be using surround speakers at all times. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've been playing around with a relative's 26" LX85, and I like it, but DVDs don't seem to look very good, kind of fuzzy & blurry. Nothing terrible, but my 650 Samsung at home seems a lot better on DVDs, while the LX85 is more comparable on HD cable. I get annoyed though when it pauses after changing channels to reacquire the HDMI feed - my Samsung doesn't do that. (could be the cable box though).

Motion blur seems better on the LX85 compared to most LCDs - maybe even better than my 650. Doesn't have motion smoothing though.

I'd get the LZ800 32" since it's down to $660 at Amazon, but granted that's another $160.

·
Registered
29,410 Posts
I've got the Panny 32LX85 and love it. Great color, deep blacks and good viewing angles. I use an old Pioneer DV-578 set to component 480p and DVD movies look great on it. Also have my Toshiba HD DVD player connected via HDMI and HD movies look even better. I have no complaints about the Panny whatsoever.

One other cool thing about the LX85 is the built in QAM tuner. I've got basic cable in the bedroom and can pick up all the network stations in HD. Even though the digital stations are 2.1, 7.1, 11.1 etc I can just hit 2, 7 or 11 on the remote and it'll go directly to the HD channel. On the Samsung my dad has, you have to actually enter in 2.1 or 7.1 to get to the digital channel.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougeee /forum/post/15442899

VarmintCong... I haven't had any problems playing DVDs on the Panasonic 26LX85 and I'm using a rather cheap Pioneer DVD player with component connection. What connectors and DVD player were being used?

Component with an old POS Toshiba DVD player. It's not bad or anything, just not particularly good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT guy /forum/post/15444971

It is $850 on Amazon now!

The deal expired (Amazon and 6ave had it for $660)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.