AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the Panasonic TC-L32U3 HDTV a few days ago. After reading various tips here and on other blogs, I was able to get the TV to act as a great monitor as well for my PCs. Just keep in mind that this is not built as a dedicated IPS monior only. It works great with 2 computers I have connected to it. Here is how I got to work... The first PC is a high end HP with a 1.8 GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 video card (2 DVI-I ports, 1 HDMI port and a typical VGA adapter as well). The HP PC is connected from the PC HDMI to the Panny's HDMI3 input on the side. My other PC, an older one, is connected with the PC's DVI-I with a HDMI adapter to the HDMI2 input on the Panny. When I powered all on, the PCs loaded quickly and I was already impressed with the beautiful color and clarity on the desktop backgrounds I have displayed. The first minor issue presented itself on both inputs with the PC's displays both being larger than the the TV screen size. After going into each PCs display panels/NVIDA card panels, I made sure they were both reading the TV ID and then the 1920 X 1080 resolutions, with the 60 Hz refresh rates. They were.

Now for the TV settings to use with the PCs. Using the remote control, click on the "MENU" button and enter the menu area. "Picture" is the first icon seen at the top. Highlight it, then click OK. I kept the picture in "Standard" mode for now. At the suggestions of other bloggers,, I knocked the "Sharpness" down to "0". Also went own and adjusted the C.A.T.S. to "OFF". Left A.I.Picture to "On', and set the "Video NR" to "On' as well. But the important changes come now. Scroll down to "Aspects adjustments" and hit OK. Leave the "Screen format" at "Full", but change the "HD size" to "Size 2". My PC's were now correctly displayed in all of there full glory.Beautiful, sharp desktops, etc.

To finally make the text more clear and sharp, this was the final tuning; Do the "MENU" again, but this time scroll down to the "Settings" icon which looks like a wrench, and hit OK. Now scroll down to the "Input labels" and hit OK. Select the HDMI inputs that your computer(s) are connected to and at one at a time, choose the "Monitor" label for each of the inputs. This is done by hitting the right and left arrows for each input until the "Monitor" label appears. Hit OK, then return. There are numerous lables to pick from, so be patient until "Monitor" appears. Do NOT use the "Computer" lable as I first did, as the text was still a little bothersome. When choosen as "Monitor", it displayed the text very, very nicely. Was told something in the electronics senses the input usage. Worked for me. Crazy, uh?

I also made a few personal preference adjustments in the "Picture" mode. I put the "MPEG NR" to "On", and changed the "Black level" to "Dark". Very pleased with this HDTV and "monitor". In the Panasonic owners manual, the company states on page 38, "HDMI use with a PC is NOT assumed". It workes exceptionally well for me. I wanted a TV with an IPS panel for high resolution photo and HD video editing, as well as a good HDTV in the same room. This killed the 2 birds with one stone as they say. My Comcast HD cable box also does the job well with the HD on the HDMI1. Color is supurb. Great investment. Hope this helps anyone else in solutions for this model.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've been playing around with some Westinghouse 32" TV's which have been great as computer monitors. Only one problem.... all 5 had screen defects visible from 3'.

Mullet......Have you found the Panasonic to be free from screen defects? Just wondering if 1st tier TV's might have better quality control. The Pany is more money, but might be worth it if it puts to bed the screen defect issue.

Screen Defects = Stuck Pixels & Screen Blotchiness.

·
Banned
671 Posts
Has anyone found a service menu setting to enable 4:4:4 people report entering the menu fixes RGB 4:4:4 but only temporarily. Has a firmware update been issued for the U3 ? I have a buddy with the sub sampling issue and I'll try changing the text label to "Monitor".

·
Banned
671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blommer /forum/post/21330171

I referenced this thread in November before I bought the TV thinking that it would work well as a monitor...I wish I wouldn't have bought this TV.

Are you saying that NASCAR24TOM2 is full of it and using HDMI 2-3 and setting the input text label to "Monitor" didn't enable RGB 4:4:4 ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.