AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased a manual, have mostly doped out how to use the wb-adjust controls, i.e. rgain, rcent, etc. I have ChromaPure and an i1Pro spectro to set wb.

I'm aiming at Custom/Warm as my starting point, have adjusted Brightness, Contrast, Backlight, etc. to desired settings. However, when I invoke the service menu and cycle to wb-adjust with Custom and Warm selected, the display "moves" to an obviously much different configuration, much brighter as though the backlight had been increased back to default as well as other changes. I go thru a successful wb-adjust procedure, am able to lock in the new values, and then power off the set. When I bring it back up the config is back to the way I had originally set it up, but when I run a Grayscale check the wb is slightly but noticeably different then while service menu was active.

How can I make the service menu settings equal to my user menu settings? All I can figure is to go back to defaults on the user menu and then use the ADJUST portion of the service menu to change to my desired settings, assuming they will "stick" when I return to user mode. I'd just as soon minimize the number of things I tweak in service menu, but I don't see any other options, and I don't really know if my assumption is correct.

Richard Southworth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, here's my problem with some numbers. I have the display set to Picture Mode = Custom and Color Temp = Warm. With no service menu invokeed, i.e. display running normally, I measure on a 100% white patch x=.316, y=.332 and Y=105.8. WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING I turn on the service menu, set Picture to Custom and Temp to Warm. Taking a measurement, I get x=.315, y=.330 and Y=177.5. Chromaticity stays about the same but Luminance goes way up, and it's a very visible change.

Just the act of turning on the service menu, even when set to the same Picture and Temp modes, overrides my user menu backlight setting and I assume contrast and brightness as well. Unfortunately with the service menu displayed the remote will not show the user menu.

I've repeated this experiment several times, always the same result. How can I freeze the user menu settings so that my adjustments during service menu don't change?

Richard Southworth

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
I just did an old insignia CRT for fun the other day. When entering the service mode it did the same sort of thing.

I found the settings for contrast min/max as well as brightness min/max and wrote everything down, then altered them setting things back where they should be with the patterns. Ran and adjusted my gray scale, reset the contrast/brightness settings in the service menu to what they were and checked everything out of the service menu.

Note: after leaving service menu, user menu options were all set back to default and had to be readjusted as well.

Not sure any of that will help other than .. you are not alone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doug,

thanks for the reply. My experience is somewhat different - it's as though the service menu and user menu are completely disconnected, i.e. what happens in one wrt backlight, contrast, brightness, etc. is independent of the other. I can switch back and forth, with no apparent interaction.

Luckily all my wb adjust settings stick, and the error induced by different adjust parameters don't change it much, although there is some difference, I assume induced by the slightly different spectral quality of the backlight at two different intensity levels.

I have done a lot of googling, also purchased the service manual, but have not gained any real wisdom as to why the disconnect, or for that matter useful definitions of all the parameters in the service menu. I guess I could go after Panasonic, although I suspect they would hide behind the "customer is not supposed to dink with these settings for their own protection" nonsense.

Richard Southworth

1 - 4 of 4 Posts