AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider the Panasonic TC-P42G25 in my living room to be excellent but I'm interested in a larger panel, 50" or 55".

THX is critical because the THX mode avoids the need to have a professional calibration performed. I realize, a pro calibration would offer additional improvements but THX is quite good.

The new VT60 is out of my price range and I'm not clear which Panasonic plasmas currently or will offer THX.

Are the new Samsung panels proven yet or should I stick to Panasonic even though they might end plasma?

Should I drop the need for THX, purchase a panel I like and just pay for a calibrator to come to the house?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop7  /t/1467964/panasonic-tc-p42g25-and-the-upgrade-question#post_23196251

I consider the Panasonic TC-P42G25 in my living room to be excellent but I'm interested in a larger panel, 50" or 55".

THX is critical because the THX mode avoids the need to have a professional calibration performed. I realize, a pro calibration would offer additional improvements but THX is quite good. The new VT60 is out of my price range and I'm not clear which Panasonic plasmas currently or will offer THX.

The only 2013 models to have THX are the VT60 and ZT60. I used to use THX a lot on my GT50, but eventually i got Custom mode looking better (to my eyes that is).

Quote:
Are the new Samsung panels proven yet or should I stick to Panasonic even though they might end plasma?

Well it's not like the existing Panasonic Plasmas will all suddenly be vaporized if they get out of the Plasma business

Quote:
Should I drop the need for THX, purchase a panel I like and just pay for a calibrator to come to the house?

This is probably the best plan - buy an ST60 for half the price of a VT60 then pay for an ISF Calibrator. They tend to Calibrate in Custom mode anyway and it will look better than you self-adjusting a higher model in THX mode.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.