AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

wanted to gauge advice before i pull the proverbial trigger on this set. planning to get a plasma to use as a computer monitor/back-up panel for blu ray/ota hd signals. after doing a bit of research, settled on the panny 42g25. would like to know if anyone out there has used this particular panel for computer use and how is/was your experience? my computer use consists of typical web-surfing/youtube watching/little to no gaming (mac mini).

i know there are dozens of threads out there discussing this particular subject. after scouring thread after thread, started to develop the 'needle-in-a-haystack' jitters. so i'd appreciate any feedback from owners/users of this panel or other panny plasmas from the 2010 line. thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Plasmas are great for everything EXCEPT Computer monitors. Just get an LCD if that is your purpose for using as a computer monitor. Still images are very bad for Plasma's. Even Panasonic though Panasonic has the least issues with it of all Plasma's. But the occasional check up on the internet shouldn't hurt it. Just if you rely heavily on it will be bad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshredder27 /forum/post/19521722

Plasmas are great for everything EXCEPT Computer monitors. Just get an LCD if that is your purpose for using as a computer monitor. Still images are very bad for Plasma's. Even Panasonic though Panasonic has the least issues with it of all Plasma's. But the occasional check up on the internet shouldn't hurt it. Just if you rely heavily on it will be bad.

-------------

i've no doubt lcd's are more attuned for computer use. it's just i've been trying different lcd sets by lg, samsung, and sony and my eyes always saw something 'funny' or 'off' with the images being displayed. so, as a goof, i took the dvi out of my mac mini and jacked into my pio 101 and viola'! was bowled over with the color and image coming from the set. since my pio is gone the way of the dodo, i don't want to 'overuse' it. the price point of the panny is decent enough where if some i.r. or b.i. occurs, ouch but not OUCH! heheh... i just want to be able to stare a a screen that's the most pleasing to my eyes; plasma or no. so i'm hoping i get that same 'wow' factor from the panny that i got from my pio. thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
675 Posts
While using a plasma as a pc monitor may not be considered ideal, I prefer it to using an LCD. I have a mac mini connected to my Panasonic plasma and am very happy with the pq. Go with what looks good to you.

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by el aye /forum/post/19526130

Do any of the panasonic plasmas have issues with overscan using a computer via HDMI? Or is the computer able to output 1920x1080 at whatever refresh rate with no problems?

They shouldn't. It's all up to what your video card can handle. Both my P42S2 and 32EX400 output fine at 1920x1080 pixel perfect with my ATI HD4890 graphics card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts