AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got this TV and wanted to know how to get the 3:2 Pulldown to work, because it's grayed out and set to off. I want to set my PS3 to output 24p playback but i don't know if the TV handles it THANKS.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, and by the way what is 3:2 pulldown and THANKS again?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's a good link with info on what 3:2 pulldown is.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/pulldown.asp

Basically the idea is that movies are fillmed at 24 frames per second... and the S2 runs at 60 hz and as you can see 60 does not evenly divide by 24. So you have to insert extra frames in the video to "convert" it to be able to display on a 60 hz display.

That's why 120 Hz displays are getting more popular since they don't require this conversion allowing you to view the video without inserted frames.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFiavs /forum/post/19652321

Here's a good link with info on what 3:2 pulldown is.

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/pulldown.asp

Basically the idea is that movies are fillmed at 24 frames per second... and the S2 runs at 60 hz and as you can see 60 does not evenly divide by 24. So you have to insert extra frames in the video to "convert" it to be able to display on a 60 hz display.

That's why 120 Hz displays are getting more popular since they don't require this conversion allowing you to view the video without inserted frames.

THANKS again

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp /forum/post/19652337

THANKS again

So if i set the PS3 to output 24p the TV will automatically do 3:2 pulldown? So i will be getting 3:2 pulldown even if the TV says the 3:2 pulldown is set to offTHANKS.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody else have this tv and think the picture is blurry? I dont know if i can take it anymore the picture is really blurry.

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp /forum/post/19662430

Anybody else have this tv and think the picture is blurry? I dont know if i can take it anymore the picture is really blurry.

Try using these settings which are based off D-Nice reference settings. As for blurry, you are sitting at least 4-6ft for 1080p and like 10ft for 1080i/720p? If you are right on top of it, yes it can look blurry. For me, it looks very very sharp. The better your source, the better the picture looks (1080p blu-rays look exceptional, as does gaming at 1080p)

* Picture Settings

o Picture Mode : Cinema

o Contrast : 71

o Brightness : 60

o Color : 47

o Tint : +9

o Sharpness : 0

o Color Temp : Warm

o x.v. Color : Off

o C.A.T.S. : Off

o Video NR : Off

o Blur Reduction : Off (with On you get full 1080 lines of motion resolution but with some frame insertion/interpolation)

* Aspect Adjustments

o Screen format : FULL

o HD size : Size 2

* Advanced picture

o MPEG NR : Off

o Black level : Light

o 3:2 pulldown : Auto (reference is On, this is only adjustable when the source is a 480i or 1080i signal)

I'm not going to get into the offset's recommended by D-Nice since there is another long thread on here that you will have to put some time to know how to do the more advanced SM changes:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232441

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for sharpness do you mean 50 or all the way down to zero? i tried it at all the way down to zero and it was really blurry THANKS

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i sit 10 feet away.

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp /forum/post/19664073

for sharpness do you mean 50 or all the way down to zero? i tried it at all the way down to zero and it was really blurry THANKS

0 (zero) for sharpness is correct. Most modern HDTV's don't need sharpness (or a very small amount) since when you are dealing with digital sources, that content already comes in pristine. Adding sharpness usually just distorts the picture and gives an artificial looking picture.

Your eyes are probably used to an incorrect level of sharpness, in which case you have 2 options.

1. You stick with an artificially high sharpness that is pleasing to your eyes.

2. You train your eyes to get used to a correct level of sharpness.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 /forum/post/19666022

0 (zero) for sharpness is correct. Most modern HDTV's don't need sharpness (or a very small amount) since when you are dealing with digital sources, that content already comes in pristine. Adding sharpness usually just distorts the picture and gives an artificial looking picture.

Not true. The 'zero' point can be different for each manufacturer, each model, and each model year.

Quote:
Your eyes are probably used to an incorrect level of sharpness, in which case you have 2 options.

1. You stick with an artificially high sharpness that is pleasing to your eyes.

2. You train your eyes to get used to a correct level of sharpness.

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/19666187

Not true. The 'zero' point can be different for each manufacturer, each model, and each model year.

That's why I added the parenthesis comment. (or a very small amount) Some HDTV's need above 0 sharpness (5, 10, 20, yadda yadda)

Only way to know for sure is to have it calibrated (either professionally or do it yourself with a test pattern from one of the many calibration discs).

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 /forum/post/19666271

That's why I added the parenthesis comment. (or a very small amount) Some HDTV's need above 0 sharpness (5, 10, 20, yadda yadda)

Only way to know for sure is to have it calibrated (either professionally or do it yourself with a test pattern from one of the many calibration discs).

Thank you. The next time I calibrate a TV with my equipment, I will take your advice.

The 'zero' point can be anywhere from the minimum possible setting to near the maximum. My statement above still stands -- without a 'small amount' qualification.

Larry

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI /forum/post/19666319

Thank you. The next time I calibrate a TV with my equipment, I will take your advice.

The 'zero' point can be anywhere from the minimum possible setting to near the maximum. My statement above still stands -- without a 'small amount' qualification.

Larry

If it's true that the newer sets that are being released today need a setting of near max or max sharpness, then I stand corrected. I personally haven't heard or seen any current sets being calibrated (professionally or do it yourself) that needed a setting of close to max or max sharpness.

Again, the only way to know how much the particular set that you are working with is to have it calibrated properly.

Either way, the thread is about the TC-PS42 and generally it works fine with a sharpness of 0 on the Cinema preset.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 /forum/post/19666400

If it's true that the newer sets that are being released today need a setting of near max or max sharpness, then I stand corrected. I personally haven't heard or seen any current sets being calibrated (professionally or do it yourself) that needed a setting of close to max or max sharpness.

Again, the only way to know how much the particular set that you are working with is to have it calibrated properly.

Either way, the thread is about the TC-PS42 and generally it works fine with a sharpness of 0 on the Cinema preset.

You seem to be having trouble grasping what I am saying.
So you win. I have nothing more to say to you.

Cheers,

Larry

·
Registered
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI
You seem to be having trouble grasping what I am saying.
So you win. I have nothing more to say to you.

Cheers,

Larry
I grasped what you said perfectly. You said that I was wrong to claim that most sets work properly with a "zero" level of sharpness. You said that different sets from different manufacturers from different years all can have different potential sharpness settings. These sharpness settings can be all the way from a zero (minimum) sharpness to a max sharpness setting, and that the only true way to know is to have the set calibrated.

I acknowledged that I was originally wrong in thinking that most new sets work optimally with a lower sharpness setting.

So you win!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts