AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this plasma look with an SD signal? I have an Pioneer Elite in the main living area and it does a great job with the upconvert... Hoping for simular results with this TV, but wanted some real life feedback before buying if possible.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeep_1999
How does this plasma look with an HD signal? I have an Pioneer Elite in the main living area and it does a great job with the upconvert... Hoping for simular results with this TV, but wanted some real life feedback before buying if possible.
I find the default settings need a wee tweaking.

I am use to a 61" LED DLP as it has one of the best life like image reproduction.

The HD content is razer sharp. I can actually sit closer than 6 feet from the 1080 detail downconversion.

I also set the contrast and brightness down below what most here have posted.

Pluging in D-nices offsets help alot. and I find overiding the contrast a wee below factory helps give a softer feel.

All in all it is not too bright and perfect for bedroom invironments.

Though I have compaired the it to my DLP which is set a low on the LED output to the Plasmas high settings.

All in all I am happy with what I purchases for less than 500.00 US. Though it does not have an easy way to calibrate individual color from the user menu, it still does a great job when using DVE HD DVD or Bluray.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeep_1999 /forum/post/19568300

Just corrected the original post... it was supposed to read SD not HD... sorry for confusion! Any input on the SD play back for this monitor? Thank you!

My C2 is hooked up using a HD cable box. I watch both SD and HD channels. HD channels look awesome (example CNN, PBS). The SD version of the same channels (CNN, PBS) look, well, like SD - which is a big step down from HD but still quite decent. Colors seem to match, but clarity is a step down.

I have set it to 4:3 mode for SD channels, so when I tune to SD there are grey bars on either side. For some SD channels that display programming in widescreen (Turner Classic Movies) I use the "zoom" aspect ratio. This results in a much softer picture, but still watchable.

DVDs through component video (480p) look great. But DVDs upconverted to 1080p (through HDMI) look even better.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the 46 C2 in my bedroom and its on SD it looks ok But not near as good as my 54V10. Checked it out with the HD box and it was a pretty big improvement. Bottom line I'll save the $10.00 a month charge for the 1-2 hours a day watching it in SD.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have to add that I have been watching both SD and HD movies on the C2 using the new Apple TV . The SD movies look quite good. The HD movies look awesome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts