AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 month old TC-P46G10 with the current firmware (1.30). It's been great until about 2 weeks ago when the TV started to randomly stop playing sound on its HDMI inputs when watching cable through my Denon AVR-1610 receiver in standby passthru mode.

We watch things like the news using the TV sound because we prefer it for simple dialog without music or sound effects. So I have it connected using HDMI to the Denon and HDMI from the Denon to the TV. When we want a Home Theater experience we turn on the Denon and it plays the audio thru its speakers. When we want TV audio, we turn off the Denon and it passes both video and audio thru to the TV's HDMI ports.

Every 1/2 to 4 hours, though, the TV screen blacks out for a fraction of a second and the audio is lost. The display on the Denon does not blink when this is happening. Raising the volume doesn't help. Selecting to the antenna input on the TV results in normal audio on that input. Selecting another (unused) HDMI port in the TV and switching back to the original HDMI port restores the sound.

I have Viera Link on the TV set to "Off". I believe that is the HDMI communications setting.

I have switched the TV input cable to a 2nd HDMI port, and the symptom are the same.

When we watch shows and movies with the Denon on, we still sometimes see the TV blink, but since the audio is coming thru the Denon, the sound does not change.

Is the TV failing after 16 months? I couldn't find others with this problem. Is my TV unusual in this regard? Any suggests for other "soft" fixes?

One more thing...should I be posting this on the Home Theater Receiver area instead of here (or in addition to here)?

Thanks in advance for your help. Barry

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This happens to me now and then on a 60u and a 2009 S1. It occurs when changing the channel and the box does the digital handshake with the tv. Sometimes I have to flip to another channel and back to get the sound back.

Panasonic usually has a firmware update that mentions fixing this, but it seems like a problem lots of people are having regardless of updating the firmware.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do your TVs only lose the sound when making a change? Mine never seems to lose its sound when I make changes to it. Only when it has been running undisturbed for a while. I wonder if they are different issues?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moderator, can this thread be moved to the section on Amps and Receivers? If my issue is with HDMI and handshaking thru my Denon 1610 receiver, then that may get more of a response.

Alternatively, would it be inappropriate for me to repost there?

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts