AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a tc-p50u2 at black Friday after seeing that it got a consumer reports best buy. But after further research i found it lacks some things like anti-reflective and 1080 pixel moving resolution. I found the tc-p50s2 for $200 more and was wondering if it was worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the TC-P50U2 and was wondering what you mean by "1080 pixel moving"? The U2 is 1080P so I wasn't sure exactly what you were getting at. I've been debating the S2 upgrade as well.

I took a wild stab and called best buy, where I bought it on black friday, to see if they could tell me the difference. I don't have much faith in their knowledgability of anything anymore but I was stumped.

Their response was the U2 is last years model. Do I beleive this? Not so much but it's the only answer I have found.

So again, what do you mean by 1080 pixel moving?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomaniac99 /forum/post/19574268

I bought the TC-P50U2 and was wondering what you mean by "1080 pixel moving"? The U2 is 1080P so I wasn't sure exactly what you were getting at. I've been debating the S2 upgrade as well.

Both TVs are 1080p. The S2 has 1080 lines of moving resolution, while the U2 has 900 lines.

Quote:
I took a wild stab and called best buy, where I bought it on black friday, to see if they could tell me the difference. I don't have much faith in their knowledgability of anything anymore but I was stumped. Their response was the U2 is last years model. Do I beleive this? Not so much but it's the only answer I have found.

Your lack of faith in BB is warranted. The U2 is not last year's model, it's a current 2010 model. And ironically, they sell it in their stores and online. Morons.

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomaniac99 /forum/post/19574268

I took a wild stab and called best buy, where I bought it on black friday, to see if they could tell me the difference. I don't have much faith in their knowledgability of anything anymore but I was stumped.

Their response was the U2 is last years model. Do I beleive this? Not so much but it's the only answer I have found.

So again, what do you mean by 1080 pixel moving?

1080 pixel motion resoltuion. Not all 1080 TV's can show a full 1080 lines of motion. They can properly display all 1080 lines (of the 1080p) when you are looking at a static image, but once the image begins to move you don't get it all. Most modern 1080p plasma's display around 900 lines normally. Some of the newer sets have features like the S2 has called Blur Reduction. When you enable this, the TV introduces more frames in so that it increases the motion resolution from 900 to 1080.

This is particularly good when watching fast moving content (such as sports or fast moving shots during action movies, etc). Older LCD sets could only show like 300-700 lines of motion resolution, that's why generally speaking LCD's blur alot when watching fast moving sequences.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinliu2336 /forum/post/19572945

I recently bought a tc-p50u2 at black Friday after seeing that it got a consumer reports best buy. But after further research i found it lacks some things like anti-reflective and 1080 pixel moving resolution. I found the tc-p50s2 for $200 more and was wondering if it was worth it.

Can you notice big reflections? Does the tv look great during motion? If the set looks good to you, its not worth spending the extra $200. If there is a problem though, like reflections, and you want to solve it, then maybe its worth $200 more.

That is all up to you. If everything looks great to you, you should be happy. The best buy deal they ran was a great price.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
You really aren't going to notice a 180 line difference in motion resolution. I can't, at least. I leave Blur Reduction switched on on my G20 just for the hell of it, but I don't notice any improvement. The AR filter on the S2 isn't worth an extra $200. I'd say keep your TV and buy a nice BD player or something with the money you saved

Also, just to defend my BB brethren, they shouldn't have told you that it was last year's model, because that's just stupid. But, I will say that the 50" U2 models are not a television that Best Buy normally carries in-store and was a specially-stocked Black Friday item. Prior to BF, we only carried the 42" U2 in store, and nobody ever buys it because the 42S2 is usually the same price. So a small feature like "1080 Line Moving Image Resolution" tends to go over most employees (and customers) collective heads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. i think I'm going to keep the tc-p50u2. I still have some questions about motion resolution. I always thought 1080p was 1920x1080 pixels refreshing at 60 times a second, thats it. Now theres a motion resolution?
I'm thinking that that is how many of the pixels the TV can change each refresh, correct me if I'm wrong for i am new to this aspect of TVs.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
A 1080p TV can (and will) technically accept and display all 1080 lines of a full HD source, but since nothing is perfect, when that 1080 line image begins to move, lines of resolution start to blur together (motion blur). As a result, you get less than a perfect 1080 line image, with a base model PDP like the U2 around 900 effective lines. LCD- based displays generally fare much worse for motion resolution unless they are 240Hz or better, which is why motion blur is virtually unnoticeable on a plasma but many people complain about it with LCDs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the U2 from BB also. I was looking at a Sammy but the sales rep told me that they still had 2 door buster TVs left (this was on Sunday). One was this Panasonic. He said that Panasonic specializes in plasmas and as a result makes a better plasma than Samsung. Plus it was about $200 dollars cheaper than the Sammy. So we bought it.

We originally thought we bought the G20 when we looked online and where excited at the thought of saving around 600 dollars LOL but when looking again on Monday they added the U2 to the website and we realized that we weren’t that lucky..

The more I read about it the more I feel we made the right decision even if it was spontaneous (not going home and researching the U2 more). It has all the things we need (50", 1080P, 600hz , 3HDMi ports etc) and the things we don't need have been stripped out (Network Port etc).

I have read that glare is a problem but the TV sits in the living room with a large double window to its left and at night a nice bright Christmas tree sits near it and we haven’t seen any reflections. As a bit of luck I suppose, we bought an entertainment center that is a Cabinet and hutch, the TV is mounted in the Hutch part so the sides of the hutch help block any extra light coming from the side as well as provide a dark area for the TV to sit in which helps the picture stand out more. We bought it because it looks nice but afterwards have realized these other benefits. Lucky Us.

The default picture seems dark, though that may be because we are coming from a 52" RCA RPTV that had the contrast turned up really high. Cinema mode is where it is set at right now but it can seem to dark at times like when a scene takes place in a darker room. Vivid just seems to wash everything out. I plan on adjusting the setting soon but don’t know if I should wait until after 200 hours.

We are really happy with this TV. Our old TV suffered from major over scan issues and I could never get the convergence right, after learning that it would cost 400 to 500 dollars to calibrate a 6-7 year old TV, the 700 I paid for this seems like a steal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.