AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. I ordered the P54Z1 already after reading some on it but I was curious what the board thought of the 54VT25 vs the 54Z1.

3D is not important to me but pricing is. I found a deal for the 54" VT25 with BR player and Avatar bundle for less then 2K.

I already ordered the Z1 for less then 1.6K (sorry about the price talk) and from the limited info out there it sounds like a good set.

Help?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonmaha /forum/post/19604051

Need help. I ordered the P54Z1 already after reading some on it but I was curious what the board thought of the 54VT25 vs the 54Z1.

3D is not important to me but pricing is. I found a deal for the 54" VT25 with BR player and Avatar bundle for less then 2K.

I already ordered the Z1 for less then 1.6K (sorry about the price talk) and from the limited info out there it sounds like a good set.

I really wish you had asked for our input before ordering the Z1.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294430

And the 54VT20 (Costco clone of 54VT25) (i meant 54G20/G25) was recently going for under a grand.

The Z1 is nice, but the VT25V G20/G25 is better.

Edit - 2K for a 54VT25 and goodies is a smoking deal :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19604165

And the 54VT20 (Costco clone of 54VT25) was recently going for under a grand. The Z1 is nice, but the VT25 is better.

Thank you for the response. Seems that a lot of that thread had to do with people arguing with one another.

The Z1 is still a nice plasma correct?

The 54VT20 was >1K?
not the 50"?

Is it the contrast ratio and the black levels that are better in the 2010 models?

Can't seem to find too much real world discussion of people who own the Z1. I would imagine this was due to the 6K price tag on first release.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonmaha /forum/post/19604279

Thank you for the response. Seems that a lot of that thread had to do with people arguing with one another.

Yes, but there is still useful information within.

Quote:
The Z1 is still a nice plasma correct?

Yes. Very nice. But you can do better for less money now.

Quote:
The 54VT20 was >1K?
not the 50"?

Yes. Not a mis-type. EDIT: Yest it was a mis-type. I saw 8 of em [54G20] on a pallet at my local Costco a few weeks back. And my boss and a co-worker also saw the same thing at their Costco. My boss waited a few days before asking me about it and missed out on the deal. The other guy likes LCDs so wasn't interested, but was amazed that it was less than half the price of his 55" LCD.

Quote:
Is it the contrast ratio and the black levels that are better in the 2010 models?

Yes.

Quote:
Can't seem to find too much real world discussion of people who own the Z1. I would imagine this was due to the 6K price tag on first release.

Yes. Now it's going for less than a fourth of what it was last year and is finally a good deal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best price I see on a VT25 54" is just below 2K. Is it that much better then a 1" / wireless / single sheet of glass from last year?

Anyone care to elaborate? What makes the VT25 soo much better. Yes I know about the rising blacks.

THANKS!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Randy,

Thank you very much for the reply. If I would have seen a 54" VT20 for less then 1K I would have jumped on it. Is the VT20 3D (not that I care) or not?

I respect your input looking at the number of posts you have.

Right now I have a 50" G10 and think it is pretty nice so I'm guessing either way I will be happy, but I guess I might have buyers remorse and need to stop looking.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19604165

And the 54VT20 (Costco clone of 54VT25) was recently going for under a grand. The Z1 is nice, but the VT25 is better.

you're mistaken, actually it was the 54G20 (54G25 equivalent) that was on sale for $999. I know because I saw it myself in Costco (and stupidly held off on buying it). Still was a good deal but not anything close to a 54V20 for $1k, lol.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfire22
you're mistaken, actually it was the 54G20 (54G25 equivalent) that was on sale for $999. I know because I saw it myself in Costco (and stupidly held off on buying it). Still was a good deal but not anything close to a 54V20 for $1k, lol.
OMG you're RIGHT !! I meant to type 54G20/G25, not VT20/VT25. I thought jackson was questioning the price i posted, i totally missed that i'd typed the wrong model number. Sorry

I was home last Thurs/Fri/Sat with FOOD POISONING so i was delirious from dehydration and hunger and boredom, and it's apparently still affecting my brain

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Randy,

You had me down in the dumps with the 54VT20 for >1K. I really was questioning how I could miss a deal that good.

Sub 1K on a G20 or G25 is pretty good though, considering last year they were running at about 1.4K or so if I remember right.

The only thing that drives me nuts about the Z1 is no one has said....I own this thing and it rocks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
jacksonmaha,

I just did the same thing actually. I saw the Z1 for 1.4k and went for it. I should get mine tomorrow or Friday. There are so many professional and user reviews out there praising this TV that you'd shouldn't feel buyers remorse. There will always be better TV's, this TV is 2 year old technology so its a given that 2010 and even more so 2011 will be much better. But for the current price of the Z1 which still has cutting edge technology to this day (the Sony was the only TV I've seen wireless and wasn't as good ) and superb picture quality you should just sit back and enjoy your purchase.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Prestige /forum/post/19619951

Z1 is the second best TV Panasonic has ever made.

Performance wise, i would place the G25 in the second best spot. The 13G panel is still better than 12G panel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19619993

Performance wise, i would place the G25 in the second best spot. The 13G panel is still better than 12G panel.

Randy,

So you are of the opinion that the G series panel this year is better then the V / Z series panels from last, even though the G is a mid series and the V / Z is the premium?

I would also think the Z would pop more due to the single sheet of glass and the A/R coating that is on this years V series. Too bad no one will ever do side by sides due to the Z series being such a limited run.

I will snap some picks when I get mine up. I can tell you that when I opened the box and took a look at this set, all I can say is WOW! 1" thick and the build is exceptional (made in japan). I can't wait to get this up on the wall with some wireless HD content flowing its way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillj2k6 /forum/post/19618225

jacksonmaha,

I just did the same thing actually. I saw the Z1 for 1.4k and went for it. I should get mine tomorrow or Friday. There are so many professional and user reviews out there praising this TV that you'd shouldn't feel buyers remorse. There will always be better TV's, this TV is 2 year old technology so its a given that 2010 and even more so 2011 will be much better. But for the current price of the Z1 which still has cutting edge technology to this day (the Sony was the only TV I've seen wireless and wasn't as good ) and superb picture quality you should just sit back and enjoy your purchase.

Do you have yours set up yet? What do you think?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaY /forum/post/19620691

Does Z1 also suffers from floating blacks problem?

From my research the floating blacks problem was a 2010 production problem. Even though the Z series was released late in the 09' cycle it is not a 10' production model.

It does suffer from the rising blacks, if that is an issue for you.

I'm of the opinion that you can't get a 54" V series from last year for the price that you can get the 54" Z for. If 3d is not important to you I think it is a great set, but others will take exception I'm guessing.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonmaha /forum/post/19620654

Randy, So you are of the opinion that the G series panel this year is better then the V / Z series panels from last, even though the G is a mid series and the V / Z is the premium?

Yes. The 54Z1 uses the exact same 12G core panel and video boards that was used by the 54S1, 54G10, and 54V10 so while the TVs range from low end to high end, they all share the same core 12G panel and most if not all video boards etc. The only real difference is the Z1 has a Kuro-like AR Bonded Filter applied directly to the face of the panel itself. This was all known over a year ago.

Here's a quote from D-Nice:

Randy, You are 100% correct. The Z1 is no more than a V10 with a different top layer. It is not a prototype for any 2010 model.

Quote:
I would also think the Z would pop more due to the single sheet of glass and the A/R coating that is on this years V series. Too bad no one will ever do side by sides due to the Z series being such a limited run.

But this years G and V series also have the single sheet of glass exactly like on the 54Z1. I did an almost side by side comparo at Magnolia a few weeks back between the 54Z1 and 50G20, with remote in hand. I tried adjusting both of them and while the Z1 looked great, the G20 looked better - better blacks, better colors, and more pop and contrast. I attribute this to the newer and better 13G panel.

Quote:
I will snap some picks when I get mine up. I can tell you that when I opened the box and took a look at this set, all I can say is WOW! 1" thick and the build is exceptional (made in japan). I can't wait to get this up on the wall with some wireless HD content flowing its way.

There's no doubt that the 54Z1 is a sleek sexy machine, and it's Kuro-like AR Filter does give it more pop and contrast than the G10 and V10. But from what i've seen, the G20/G25 outperforms it.

·
Registered
850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19619993

The Z1 and G25 have the same black level, although the rise might happen more gradually on the G25. But the Z1 has the edge in the AR coating, design, and overall build quality.

If price is not an issue, I'd take the Z1 over the G25, but I'd take the VT25 over both of them any day of the week.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts