AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I am looking to get a new plasma tv and am torn between the Panasonic or the samsung. I know the Panny is a great tv but dont know all that much about the samsung. what is everyone recommending? thanks for the info

Jon

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_87 /forum/post/18200301

Panny

Agree!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The S1 I considered at Sears had too much of a green hue and not enough picture adjustment capabilities for me to purchase it. However, I didn't look at the Sammy 540 so I can't tell you if it is any better. I purchased the Samsung 850 and then went back and purchased the Samsung 550 for the bedroom.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
getting more panny votes... ok thats kinda what i thought just because i know more about Panasonic and that they are a great tv. Any more samsung guys out there? I was only hoping the samsung was good because my local sams club has the sammy and i would have to order the panny lol. Ok now my next question. I am going to be sitting about 10 feet from the tv's, could i get away with getting the 65" panny or should i stay with the 58. I know the 58 might be too big too but i love big tv's as we all do here and want to get the biggest possible tv i can get with the tv still looking good. The price diff isnt huge so i am not worrying about that. Also sorry for all the questions, with the panny what is the huge difference between the s1 series and the v10 series. I see its about a thousand dollar difference for the different model on the same size. Is it worth the extra money? thanks for the help

Jon

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently went throught the same decision, and went with the Samsung 58B540 over the panny. Price difference was only $100. Colors on both sets were amazing, but the picture seemed clearer/sharper on the Samsung. The panny had more of a soft focus look about it. I also liked the swivel mount for such a big set. Makes it easier to get to the rear connection panel as well as wires/cables behind the stand. I like both brands and have owned sets from each of them, so brand loyalty did not play a role in my decision. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
You could get away with a 65" from 10' no problem. The one thing to consider is SD programming. HD will be fine but SD may look terrible depending on your cable provider.

If it was me I would go with the 65". I watch almost 100% HD.

When you go to the store measure 10' to try and give you an idea. I would also buy from a store that doesn't have a restocking fee just in case it is too large for you. It may take a few days to get used to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I vote Samsung. Sharper picture.

Panny picture is too grainy or out of focus looking on anything other than BD animations. SD on panny is horrible, and with the rise in black levels over time puts panny behind.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djportal /forum/post/18203647

I vote Samsung. Sharper picture.

Panny picture is too grainy or out of focus looking on anything other than BD animations. SD on panny is horrible, and with the rise in black levels over time puts panny behind.

This. Had a PN50A550 that I returned for a 50" S1 due to the pink hue issue. The Panny was everything I expected. Reliable, bright, no IR ever, but also a very soft picture, really bad SD image, and very noisy(pq wise). Just couldnt come to grips with it, so I sold it and now in the market for a remaining B series Sammy, or will wait for the C series in case I need an exchange.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker /forum/post/18203767

This. Had a PN50A550 that I returned for a 50" S1 due to the pink hue issue. The Panny was everything I expected. Reliable, bright, no IR ever, but also a very soft picture, really bad SD image, and very noisy(pq wise). Just couldnt come to grips with it, so I sold it and now in the market for a remaining B series Sammy, or will wait for the C series in case I need an exchange.

I have a 54S1 and the picture is sharp, blacks are good and it doesn't display much "noise." It's hooked up to Fios and a Panny BD60 BR player. Very satisifed with the purchase!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys, thank you very much for all the responses. it is very much appreciated. i think if i got with the 58 inch i will go with the samsung becuase my local sams club has it but if i go with the 65 i will have to order it so still up in the air weather to get the panny or sammy. i am glad to see that some of u guys are agreeing with me getting the 65 because id love to have it just concerned about being too close. i mean where my couch is, it is 10ft away but i do have a cough that runs along the wall perpendicualr to the tv wall so that couch would be closer to the tv so i will have to do some thinking on what i should do. any other inputs would be greatly appreciated, i do watch 98% all hd so that shouldnt be a issue, but still concerned some. thanks again

Jon

·
Registered
14 Posts
panny...those sammys are buzzers, (i just bought a 2010 model sammy and had to return it...was not impressed w/ how Sammy handled things...)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey guys just wanted to keep everyone updated, but i wound up going with the sammy 58 inch 540. I went to a best buy magnolia and saw all the tv's there and saw for where my other couch was placed in the room it would be too close for anything other than hd content. i bought the sammy from my local sam's and love the tv. very little if any buzzing and great picture. thanks again for all the help i really appreciate it.

Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up the Samsung PN58B540 and absolutely LOVE it. The "buzz" is hardly there, affected by how high you turn up the brightness and contrast. But when I have those settings toned down for evening movie viewing, it is so low,...which the movie sound easily covers. Awesome television, I think. Absolutely no regrets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts