AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Wondering if someone can help me out here. I have a buddy who bought this tv and I built a computer for him to keep all of his media on. Now his receiver does not have hdmi, but it does have optical in. Currently he has a satellite with hdmi out going into the tv. He has the optical out from the tv going into his receiver. There are two strange things happening:

1) when watching satellite it does not pass a hi def signal (Dolby Digital) to the receiver when using the optical out from the tv to the receiver. If he goes straight from the satellite to the optical in on the receiver he does get the hi def signal.

2) when watching a movie that is on his pc. He is using the wireless and dlna to play media off of the pc. However, the tv will only play audio through the tv speakers, it will not pass audio through the optical out to the receiver even when selected to not use tv speaker.

I was wondering if anyone else had seen this or knows how to set the tv up to:

A) pass audio out the optical out when watching dlna content

B) get the optical out to pass hi def (Dolby Digital) audio

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Many TVs have the restriction that they pass DD 5.1 to the optical out only if the signal comes from their own tuners. I don't think your friend's problem is unusual.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgecko71  /t/1468444/panasonic-tc-p60st60-not-passing-audio-through-optical-out#post_23207876

Hey Folks,

Wondering if someone can help me out here. I have a buddy who bought this tv and I built a computer for him to keep all of his media on. Now his receiver does not have hdmi, but it does have optical in. Currently he has a satellite with hdmi out going into the tv. He has the optical out from the tv going into his receiver. There are two strange things happening:

1) when watching satellite it does not pass a hi def signal (Dolby Digital) to the receiver when using the optical out from the tv to the receiver. If he goes straight from the satellite to the optical in on the receiver he does get the hi def signal.

2) when watching a movie that is on his pc. He is using the wireless and dlna to play media off of the pc. However, the tv will only play audio through the tv speakers, it will not pass audio through the optical out to the receiver even when selected to not use tv speaker.

I didn't find an option to "not use TV speaker". I had to turn the volume down all the way.
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone else had seen this or knows how to set the tv up to:

A) pass audio out the optical out when watching dlna content

B) get the optical out to pass hi def (Dolby Digital) audio

Thanks for any suggestions

The ST60 passes DD5.1 and DTS over optical when playing from a USB drive. Haven't tried HDMI. As for DLNA, I can't get any audio over optical from my HD Homerun Prime. However, Plex Media Server is giving me DD5.1 over optical, but it wants to transcode everything with DTS I've tried.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.