AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is weird. My father is redoing his living room and setting up a pretty cool HT. Hes trying to get it all rolling the begining of January. This has been a long time coming with the wiring taking a while and him getting hung up with a flakey contractor at the end of the venetian plaster job. Finally, everything was falling into place and pretty much all the components are in. The JVC RS50 just came in, but unfortunately we just got word on the Plamsa he was going to get (plasma for every day viewing with a drop down 130" projector screen for movies and stuff) has been discontinued o_O

This is very strange since the plasma in question was the pretty new Panasonic TC-P65VT25. The HT guy said that his suppliers told him they are not going to be available anymore, and that they plan to have a replacement model sometime around march or so.

This sounds very strange to me as the set is relatively new. Companies usually dont do stuff like that, especially around X-mas unless something major is wrong. Usually a safety issue or something. The HT guy was very confused as well, and is going to try to find out what was going on but the Panny rep wasn't very forthcoming. I flipped through the owners thread and didn't see any mention of this on the last few pages. I read through some of it before and the biggest problem i heard about was floating blacks. Did the floating blacks get so bad that they are stopping this line? I notice on panasonics website the set is no longer available for purchase through them

Has anyone heard anything about this or know the best way to contact Panasonic to find out what is going on with this? I think my father can probably find one if he calls around (I think magnolia had a couple), but i dont know if he should get one if theres something wrong enough that Panasonic is pulling them off the market!

So anyone know what the deal is or where we can find out more about it?

This is just bizzare. Even the HT guy was confused and said he'd never really seen anything like that happen around xmas time. Were kinda in a screwed position now. We called the cabinet maker and told him about this so the cabinet production is halted for now. The thing is my father really wants a 65" so im not sure what the alternatives are. I guess the only thing even remotely comparable would be a Samsung 8000 or something? But that doesn't have the black lvls the panny did, nor is it as good in viewing angles i believe, or with a really bright environment like the room is in the daytime with the windows open

blea, this is not good. Hopefully someone here knows whats going on. It seems like this project is never gonna get done!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The key word there is his suppliers. Very often stores buy things at a discount through intermediaries between the manufacturer and the retail outlet. Idiot salesman say this crap all the time when in reality it is not the case. And when I say all the time, I mean routinely throughout the year... for the reason that they don't have any in stock and want to sell you something they do instead of having you buy from a different store. Keep looking and you should be able to find one.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think thats really the case. The HT guy said he even called around and hes the one that told us that Magnolia had a couple in stock. So I doubt hes trying to jerk us around and sell us something else if hes willing to tell us other places we can buy the set if we want to. Its also strange its no longer purchasable from the site. Also, he doesn't actually carry stock. He orders things when doing builds

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Panasonic DO NOT discontinue their sets. Period. The higher screen sizes have always been more limited quantity because they cost more to make. Them being currently sold out does not equal being discontinued. Salesman claims of Panasonic discontinuing certain sets crop up on here every once in a while and every time the answer is the same thing. Whoever told you that is full of horse manure. BB is a larger distributer so for limited quantity items they're more likely to get them and more frequently.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono /forum/post/19612445

i dont think thats really the case. The HT guy said he even called around and hes the one that told us that Magnolia had a couple in stock. So I doubt hes trying to jerk us around and sell us something else if hes willing to tell us other places we can buy the set if we want to. Its also strange its no longer purchasable from the site. Also, he doesn't actually carry stock. He orders things when doing builds

Call Cleveland Plasma and order one. All the big box stores stopped carrying the 65 for reasons of their own, it's not discontinued. Cleveland has them in stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I was looking around for the P65VT25 and found that all sources have them marked up above MSRP. This usually means it's hot and out of stock. Did anybody else talked to a large chain store (such as Best Buy) and have a sense of supply in the near future? Thanks, Steve.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
I believe the first guy on AVS to report getting a 65VT25 was Kevin on May 27th, 2010 (i saved the bookmark for some reason). Panasonic wouldn't discontinue their flagship model only six months after releasing it for sale.

Last year the 65V10 supply started to dwindle around Thanksgiving, but more were produced and they started shipping again around January. It probably has to do with underestimated sales projections months prior where they end up selling more than they anticipated. It's kinda common in my own industry when Q4 comes around.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post18697331

·
Registered
5,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19619305

I believe the first guy on AVS to report getting a 65VT25 was Kevin on May 27th, 2010 (i saved the bookmark for some reason). Panasonic wouldn't discontinue their flagship model only six months after releasing it for sale.

Last year the 65V10 supply started to dwindle around Thanksgiving, but more were produced and they started shipping again around January. It probably has to do with underestimated sales projections months prior where they end up selling more than they anticipated. It's kinda common in my own industry when Q4 comes around.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post18697331

Yeah, I remembered all that, as well. One would think that after the shortage of all V10s, to varying extents, (typically the larger, the more scarce), that Panasonic would have learned better, than they have with the VT25s. At least the 50", 54", and 58" VT25s have been relatively good for availability; no consolation for those looking for a 65" VT25, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope Randy's prediction becomes reality that availability improves towards January. When watching the IMAX Avatar I noticed that the screen really shrinks with 3D to the extent that even the screen in the theater doesn't look that big. So I want to get the largest possible TV :)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so my father spent hours and hours on the phone with various departments of Panasonic. heres the gist of what he found out

Basically they are no longer shipping units out to distributors. What they have is what they get. They will be resuming the line in march or april of next year.. now if they are just resuming this line, or coming out with something new.. thats something they seemed to dance around when he asked. With one tech guy he got an honest answer. The guy plotted out when their new models came out and he said that the time frame they are talking about 'resuming' production falls in line with the time frame they've used for new models.

So ya, you guys are right. Theyre simply not shipping out any units for new orders. What vendors have is what they got until March/April. The only question is if it will be the exact same tv then or what. My father isn't sure what to do. He can either just get the VT25 right now at a higher price than he was going to originally (was getting it really cheap because of all the stuff he was buying), get maybe a sammy 8000, or wait untill April or so for the TV and see whats out then

His major concern with this TV was the floating black/Rising black issue. One of the tecs claimed that was fixed on the VT25. Is that true? i seem to recall several complaings about it in the owners thread. Hopefully at least floating blacks is fixed isn't it?

outa curiosity what would you guys do? Just get the VT25, wait to see what happens around March or April, or get somethign else.. maybe a sammy 8000?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono
His major concern with this TV was the floating black/Rising black issue. One of the tecs claimed that was fixed on the VT25. Is that true? i seem to recall several complaings about it in the owners thread. Hopefully at least floating blacks is fixed isn't it?
Rising blacks, no. They engineered in all of their sets.

Floating blacks, doubt it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1172

and

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1176

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1186

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased one of these tv last night from Best Buy...the Rising blacks and Floating blacks are starting to concern my now however. Should i return this set and get something else? What would you recommend in its place?

·
Registered
14,892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono /forum/post/19624322

outa curiosity what would you guys do? Just get the VT25, wait to see what happens around March or April, or get somethign else.. maybe a sammy 8000?

With the 2011 models just several months away, I would definitely wait. I'm interested in buying a new set myself, but want to see what kind of improvements the Panasonic or Samsung will reveal.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo m3 /forum/post/19625140

I just purchased one of these tv last night from Best Buy...the Rising blacks and Floating blacks are starting to concern my now however. Should i return this set and get something else? What would you recommend in its place?

or do you recommend getting the best buy protection plan, i think it was almost $500 for 4 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As others have stated, this set is NOT discontinued. It's pretty well sold out at right now. There's a difference between sold out and discontinued. Your father may have to wait, but he can still own a 65VT25.

And to the last post. Best buy service plans are grossly expensive in comparison to most local HT specialty shops. You might want to look into your local market more. I put an extended warranty on my set, but it was 1/3 of the price of the Future Shop warranty.

The VT25 is an amazing panel. Just invest into a good power center / surge protector.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd actually say they are not currently producing the larger panels at least the 65VT25. If you've been following the Panasonic EPP debacle from last week/weekend, panasonic cancelled a whole bunch of orders and have delayed others. On the callback from Panasonic's Executive Offices they stated that they aren't producing anymore until early 2011 (at least february). They said the 65VT25 was discontinued. If you speak with most companies selling them including Cleveland Plasma here, they are getting the same message. I believe they have stopped the VT25 and are possibly going to release the next model a little earlier than last year (perhaps february or certainly by march). Could be a bit of a dry spell for the 65" models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked up my TC-P65VT25 last night for $3999.00 including blu ray player, and starter pack with avatar.

Still not sure if should return it or not if the Panasonic do indeed have issues after time, buy the 4 year warranty for 540, or just keep it and forgo the extended warranty.

Ive never owned a plasma before...i have sony lcd xbr5 and samsung led/lcd tv.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts