AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 50 inch plasma soon (maybe today). The store I am working with has the Panasonin TCP50U1 for a $100 less than the Samsung PN50C590. Although I have read all the specs I can find, does anyone have an opinion on either of these? Also, I have tried to compare the Samsung PN50C590 with the Samsung PN50C550 and have not gotten very far. Anyone have any good information? Are they really just the same TVs, but with a different numbering scheme so that it is harder to price match them?

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got the PN50C590 on Friday. I see you are in Michigan - I bought it at an ABC Warehouse and paid $1259.00. Go to ABC's website and they have the most info on this set I could find. It has a great picture, USB connectivity which I verified this morning by watching some movies off a flash drive and Energy Star Compliant which for me was a big deal as these plasmas can suck up the energy. It is also lighter and thinner than most 50" plasmas - about 65 pounds I believe. Here is a link:

http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_...~prod_id~24409

·
Registered
197 Posts
according to the samsung website the c590 has a different screen than the c550 (better filter i guess) plus it has the Crystal Full HD Engine and Cinema Smooth

·
Registered
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1126 /forum/post/18433000

according to the samsung website the c590 has a different screen than the c550 (better filter i guess) plus it has the Crystal Full HD Engine and Cinema Smooth

It seems like some people are saying that you can go into the service menu and essentially change your C550 into a C590. If that is true, which I would like to know for certain, what would be the advantage of spending the extra money on the C590?

Also, if this is true, how exactly is this accomplished?

Appreciate any help from someone in the know on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought the C590, and after registering my DISH satellites for about 7 mintues, the box burned into the screen. WTF? I used the scrolling white-wash option, which cleared it out, but what should I expect from this TV after 7 minutes of use. DANG!

$919 after Bing cashback via circuitcity.com, shipped.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just got this TV from a local dealer. What setting are you guys using on yours? Any features I should turn on \\ off?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I returned this TV. I was able to get the box off the screen, but only after 20 minutes of watching the Yankees game on HD, I could see the box score and the 'ESPN2HD' logo burned into the screen when I changed channels.

I shipped that back as fast as I could.

Maybe I got a lemon, maybe this is how plasma's work - but I can tell you this, I don't want to have to maintain my TV. I don't want to run the white-wash once a week. I shouldn't have to do that.

Return it, be happy. Get an LCD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts