AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This unit was delivered yesterday. As I was watching this movie during an action scene, the picture became distorted (little squares/pixels)and seemed to clear up after a second. What is calibration? Do I need this? I don't know too much about this issue and was hoping to get some feedback from all of you experts.. I'm trying to not be bummed about my purchase and hoping its just a minor issue that can be fixed.. They only thing I did to this tv was plug in the HDMI cable to my Fios box.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This kind of blocking happens in fast action with low bandwidth signals. Try watching the same movie off a Blu-ray disc and you shouldn't have these visual artifacts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It should not be your tv but the signal from fios. An easy way to check is to plug in a blu-ray or dvd player to the tv and watch a movie on it. If you don't get distortion then you know it is fios. If that is the case I would swap fios boxes, that could clear it up. Beyond that you would have to change tv providers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a low quality HDMI cable affect the picture??? I was told this might be the problem. I also was told that 720p movies arent good on a 1080p. What is 1080i? Thanks for info

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amledesma /forum/post/18244267

Would a low quality HDMI cable affect the picture??? I was told this might be the problem. I also was told that 720p movies arent good on a 1080p. What is 1080i? Thanks for info

Neither the source resolution nor the HDMI cable are likely causing your problem. If the HDMI cable was the problem, you'd be having full picture dropouts. The bitrate of the video you are watching is likely too low to transmit the fast action.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
^^ .. what he said; to add, the different resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) explained (tboma): (diff. formats won't harm 1080p sets)

480i (interlaced) - old format, CRT of days gone by & some DLPs.

480p (progressive) - shown on some cable/sat. shows; bit better

720p (progressive) - higher bit rate; shown on many popular cable/sat. channels

1080i (interlaced) - higher bit rate; sab

1080p (progressive) - up to now, only available w/ Sony PS3/Blu-Ray (believe past Toshiba HD) players

info: http://www.hdtv.ca/hdtv_knowledgebas...720p_1080p.php

.. someone will probably add on-to; i'm no expert, but enough to be dangerous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts