AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 1020 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplatt /forum/post/0

T. Wiz,

Thanks for the response. I mis-typed in my first post. I meant to say that it looks like the light goes dark 7 times. Do I count from the first dark? If so, it goes dark 7 times.

Based on one of your earlier posts, the first thing I checked was that both fans did spin up. From what I can tell, both fans do spin up on startup. I did take apart the back casing and cleaned both fans in case there was another issue. I also disconnected each of them in turn. With one or both fans disconnected, the flash code did not change.

Question, when does the shutdown sequence check fan rotation? If it's early in the sequence, this would point to one/both fans spinning below spec.

You mention the scan sustain, could that cause a shutdown issue by itself?

If the issue doesn't sound like a faulty fan or some other relatively easily diagnosible/fixable issue, any recomendations on where to take it for service would be appreciated. I'm in Colorado Springs, CO.

You can go to the web www.Panasonic.com and search under SUPPORT - FIND A SERVICER which will ask for the model number and zip code and then return a list of those in the area.

If you need more, PM me tomorrow and I'll hook you up with the regional engineer in Denver.

TW

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like I'm part of the blinking light club. I have a August 2003 42PA20 that just started shutting down last week. It flashes 6Xs and stays steady on the 7th. It normally shuts down after using the set for an hour or more. Is this the IC 551 issue that is well documented here or possibly a fan issue. Usually after having the 42PA20 on for a while the room temperature rises. I haven't noticed that as much recently. It could be that the house is a bit cooler since it is February.

It's out of warranty so should I still call the Panasonic 800-211-7262 support number first? Any suggestions on service centers in Central Jersey, East Brunswick area? Any help to make this as painless as possible would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodhaus /forum/post/0

Looks like I'm part of the blinking light club. I have a August 2003 42PA20 that just started shutting down last week. It flashes 6Xs and stays steady on the 7th. It normally shuts down after using the set for an hour or more. Is this the IC 551 issue that is well documented here or possibly a fan issue. Usually after having the 42PA20 on for a while the room temperature rises. I haven't noticed that as much recently. It could be that the house is a bit cooler since it is February.

It's out of warranty so should I still call the Panasonic 800-211-7262 support number first? Any suggestions on service centers in Central Jersey, East Brunswick area? Any help to make this as painless as possible would be much appreciated.

Send me a PM tomorrow

TW

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine just started doing it last week... have an Oct '03 42PWD6UY... I get "Unable to locate a matching model number." ... for zip 91362

Anyhow found out servicers & made a few calls AUDIO SERVICE CENTER in LA (323) 935-1175 were the most upfront... $150 for the fix & $75 for pickup & delivery.

Techniwizard & those who know, did any of you have had any experience with this center ? Mine is scheduled to be picked up tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the responses in advance!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I dunno , for west coast you can call the Panasonic Broadcast Service center in Universal City at 323-436-3503 and ask for my friend Jim. I think this is one of their authorized service centers.

T Wiz

·
Registered
70 Posts
TechWizard and the many fine contributors of this thread.

I just joined the 7 blink club. TH-42PWD6 Manf 6/03 I was one of the first in the country to have one. Never a problem. I bought from Visual Apex, a great forum sponsor.

I went back and reviewed nearly every post on this thread. and have counted many different reactions to this shameful Panasonic issue. It can be offered that in the day of beancounters saving a Yen or two makes a difference. Yet, add it all up to how fast bad word of mouth travels, this has to cost Panasonic loads in the long haul not to have sent a campaign notice for repair to all that could possibly been included. This has been reported on this thread to be a very small percent.

I also remember Techwizard saying it failure rate would be within early use if it was to fail. I wonder how many of these are yet to come?

All I can say judging from the amount of people who had it on this forum, this must be much larger than reported. I would think Panasonic would want to contain this one, given how early it was detected. I am only sorry I had not seen it on this forum before the expiration of my warranty date.

If I get this right, if this well noted ticking bomb went off earlier than latter for those over the warranty period, then they get stuck compared to some leniency offered by Panasonic.

Techwizard, Although you have been of considerable help and support to people here who have been pulling their hair out, I still have to view you as someone who work in public relations for Panasonic. I might add you do a superb job at it. I have to remember it is your job to put out or put water on fires.

Up to date it has cost me $3 a day to view this (and I must say) very good viewing plasma. That number will go up now. This reminds me of when Ii was a teenager (a long time ago-I'm now 55) I bought a Sony Receiver and in short time it failed. I told I myself, I would never buy Sony again, and I didn't. That was 37 years ago.

I will say now that I will never buy a Panasonic product again and neither will those who ask my opinions of them.

It was not that this problem happened it was and continues to be the shameful way Panasonic has handled this. I will go have it repaired and learn a valuable lesson. Thanks all for their very valuable contributions to this thread. Tom

Mine is the what you refer to as the commercial model TH-42PWD6 manf 6/03 I haven't looked hours up,but we don't look at it too much.

TechWizard or anyone, if you can please direct me appropriate repair facility, I would appreciate it. I live in Central Florida between Tampa and Orlando zip 33803 [email protected]

Thanks, I feel better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shutdown Fix for the 42PWD6UY (Commercial Unit) & 42PA20 (Consumer Unit)

Problem: Upon turning on TV, loud hissing noise could be heard. Once the TV was on and running, when the power was interupted the TV would shut down. Either 5 or 7 blinks will occur depending on unit. It would take 15min to 4hrs to be able to get the TV back on, followed by it shutting down once again.

Fix: Order the new transistor (Part# C5HABZZ00123) from Panasonic for $20.02 plus shipping, comes up to about $30 total.

Remove the back off the unit, find the IC551 on the power supply board. The board is located near the top and off center to the right. The transistor your looking for is located to the far right on the board, attached to a cooling bar. You'll notice most the IC's on this board begin with the number 5, you've got the right board.

Find IC551 and the black transistor with a screw through it, this is the transistor you want. This part number should be CXA1315P, but don't be worried if you don't find it printed on the transistor. Remove the board by unplugging everything and unscrewing the board (5 screws I believe). I wraped the board and

I went to a Local TV Repair guy (a friend) and had him replace the old transistor (CXA1315P) with the new transistor (C5HABZZ00123). Took about 15min with no charge. If you were charged, I'd estimate maybe $20 for his time.

Replace the board, plug everything back in, screw everything into place, and your ready to go. I ran my TV for hours on end to make sure it wouldn't quit. After three weeks of testing the TV through everything that would shut it down, I have yet to experience anything. The TV is NEW AGAIN!!! I am confident this was the issue and has been solved with the new transistor.

The Panasonic Authorized Repair Center in Denver, CO quoted me $500+ for the repair. Another posting showed a bill of $519.19 for his repair from Denver, and he was without his unit for nearly a week. With a little research online, I fixed my Plasma for $30, and it took about an hour from off the wall to back on the wall!!!

I don't check these posts regularly, but figured I owed it to these forums to post this considering this is where I received most of my research. I hope this posting helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
TechnoWizard,

Thanks for your help hooking me up w/ the Regional guy here. He sent me the I.C. It cost about $25 shipped and I had an authorized repair facility in town. He charged me $75. I suppose $100 for after 2 1/2 years use wasn't too bad.

I think I was more freaked out not knowing how bad it might be. It's a good thing for these forums.

Tom

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is cross-posted on the "Official Panny Thread" for the PX50U models. While it doesn't relate to the 42PA20 model, I thought someone here might be able to help. I apologize for any inconvenience.

I purchased my TH42PX50U in mid-December, and in the last week it has begun to act badly. When it has been on for about an hour, it will suddenly cease operating. The small red light on the from panel, which is supposed to communicate to the informed user what is wrong, glows steadily for a minute, then begins flashing in a code that is too rapid for my eyes to comprehend. Finally, after five minutes or so, the thing switches off, then back on, and operates normally for 30 minutes or so.

I have called the licensed repair folks in my area (Sacramento, CA), and they have ordered a new power supply from Panasonic. But, they report that this does not appear to have happened to anyone else.

So, my questions: First, has anyone had a problem similar to mine? And, second, does anyone have any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a TH-42PWD6UY. It sounds like I have the usual problem, but I'd appreciate Techniwizard's and others thoughts.

Here are the symptoms:

(1) Whistling/squealing sound at initial startup.

(2) After the unit has warmed up and typically adjacent to a black screen (between commercials, for instance) the unit shuts down and whistles/squeals again.

(3) The red Power On light flashes on for six short intervals and one long interval (or off for seven short intervals). This pattern repeats.

(4) To turn on the unit, I have to push the power switch on the unit twice, to turn it off then on. Again, the unit whistles/squeals at startup.

(5) Steps (2) to (4) recur a few times each evening.

I live in zip code 94062 in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would appreciate advice. Thanks, in advance!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
sounds like it.

Check the web for a service center nearby.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Steves59,

In the BA, I had Media Associates fix my 6UY. They are authorized Panasonic servicer, ph. (650) 968-2444

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've happily owned a Panasonic TH-42PA20 for over 2 years now. Just this past week, it began to shut itself off (I think only during HD viewing, but I haven't been able to verify this--I'm using a Comcast box via DVI). After it shuts itself off, the power light indicator (by the power button) blinks a few times, pauses, and repeats itself. The panel is not responsive to any remote control commands or by the buttons on the panel itself (including power). The only way I've been able to (temporarily) fix this problem is by unplugging the power supply. I was able to watch a 1.5h movie (via component input) without this happening but otherwise it seems to be after at least an hour or more of viewing. Has this happened to anyone else? Any help?

By the way, I live at 7500 ft altitude but haven't had problems to this point (even the buzzing has been minimal).

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flt Instr /forum/post/0

Shutdown Fix for the 42PWD6UY (Commercial Unit) & 42PA20 (Consumer Unit)

Problem: Upon turning on TV, loud hissing noise could be heard. Once the TV was on and running, when the power was interupted the TV would shut down. Either 5 or 7 blinks will occur depending on unit. It would take 15min to 4hrs to be able to get the TV back on, followed by it shutting down once again.

Fix: Order the new transistor (Part# C5HABZZ00123) from Panasonic for $20.02 plus shipping, comes up to about $30 total.

Remove the back off the unit, find the IC551 on the power supply board. The board is located near the top and off center to the right. The transistor your looking for is located to the far right on the board, attached to a cooling bar. You'll notice most the IC's on this board begin with the number 5, you've got the right board.

Find IC551 and the black transistor with a screw through it, this is the transistor you want. This part number should be CXA1315P, but don't be worried if you don't find it printed on the transistor. Remove the board by unplugging everything and unscrewing the board (5 screws I believe). I wraped the board and

I went to a Local TV Repair guy (a friend) and had him replace the old transistor (CXA1315P) with the new transistor (C5HABZZ00123). Took about 15min with no charge. If you were charged, I'd estimate maybe $20 for his time.

Replace the board, plug everything back in, screw everything into place, and your ready to go. I ran my TV for hours on end to make sure it wouldn't quit. After three weeks of testing the TV through everything that would shut it down, I have yet to experience anything. The TV is NEW AGAIN!!! I am confident this was the issue and has been solved with the new transistor.

The Panasonic Authorized Repair Center in Denver, CO quoted me $500+ for the repair. Another posting showed a bill of $519.19 for his repair from Denver, and he was without his unit for nearly a week. With a little research online, I fixed my Plasma for $30, and it took about an hour from off the wall to back on the wall!!!

I don't check these posts regularly, but figured I owed it to these forums to post this considering this is where I received most of my research. I hope this posting helps.

Thanks for the tip! I live in Evergreen. Can you give me the name of the person who replaced the part for you?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, after 2.5 years I finally have been hit with the shut down bug with my 42 6UY. There date on my Panny is July 2003. Since it's out of warranty how much should I expect to shell out to get the issue fixed in the SF Bay Area. I just threw the box away last month too. Boy, what timing. I will have to have someone come to my house & fix it. I assume since this problem started in 03 that most service centers will know exactly what I'm talking about when I call?

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker /forum/post/0

norcalsvt,

See my post above on where to get your 6UY fixed.

hiker. saw the post & called them, but havn't received a call back yet. was yours done under warranty? If not how much did it run you? I hope they do house calls. I am next to SF & I think I remember it said they were in mountain view.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'm in Novato and they came here and did the repair for less than $200, out of warranty. They did my neighbor's PA20 at another time under warranty without cost to them.

521 - 540 of 1020 Posts