AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 42" Panny and for some reason it doesn't like the jpg that I have loaded on the SD card that I'm using. It gives me a message that it's not a supported format. Does anyone know what format specifically the jpg has to be in for it to work? The instructions say something about DCF and EXIF standard, what does that mean?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Someone more knowledgeable than I will clarify, no doubt, but the DCF and EXIF information is placed on the card by the camera during formating. Did you format the card in a camera, or just move jpgs from your computer onto an unformatted SD card?

When the card is formatted, you'll find folders inside. On mine, one is labeled DCIM. I've found the jpgs cannot be read by commercial photo printers if they are not inside the DCIM folder, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Panasonic acted similarly. In the case of my Nikon, there is another folder nested inside the DCIM entitled 100NIKON, and the camera places the jpg files in there.

My camera uses Compact Flash and I've thought about buying an SD card just to display some pictures on my TH-42PD25U, but the formatting issue has held me up so far.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that...but I don't know if it's actually necessary to put the jpgs under specific folders? I formatted the card using my PC. I used FAT which is probably FAT16 that the panny needs for it to work. I placed my pics on the root directory. I did try putting it under DCIM folder and that didn't work. I will try to put it in an additional subfolder Pany0001 tonight to see if that worked.

The reason I don't think that it's a directory issue is that the error message says that it's not a supported file. If it's a matter of the wrong folder wouldn't it say that the card has no pictures?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I don't know, but the machine at the photo store said something like that (it's been about two years, so I don't recall the wording any more). At first I thought it was because I had processed the pictures and used the card with a Mac and the photo printer only spoke Microsoft, but moving the jpgs into the DCIM folder solved my problem, so I hoped it might for you.

I don't think the subfolder is necessary, either. I only mentioned it as an afterthought to be as complete as possible. This process never did work entirely properly with the printer. For some reason, the machine always "saw" twice as many pictures as were actually there. I could not print "all", but had to manually select every other one, or I'd get a lot of blanks. I suspect the camera embeds other information that I never duplicated properly. However, the same technique worked very well with a SanDisk Digital Photo Viewer that performs the same function as the one built in to the Panasonic.

I thought a camera formatted the card differently than a PC, but don't recall where that idea came from. I vaguely remember once formatting a card on my Mac that the camera wouldn't read, but that could be a Mac only problem. Or creeping senility. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.