Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a complete newbie to TV's. We have a 52 inch Panasonic SDTV Projection TV don't know the model number, bought it in 2000.

Now, I am looking for a TV for a another room upstairs. The distance between the TV stand for that room and my knee (recliner leg) is 75 inches. The distance from the tv stand to the wall is 26 inches.

I was thinking of those Widescreen TVs (either Sony or Hitachi) but seems like they will be too big for the room and the distance not correct.

Now, I am looking at the Plasma TVs and am confused.

The following models I have read about:

1. TH-42PWD7UY

2. TH-42PD25U/P

Now, I believe the 42PWD7UY is a base model with no speakers.

The 42PD25U is a commercial model, correct, with speakers, etc.

My main concern is which TV will work with a HDTV Dish Network Receiver (I don't have one yet but will get one soon).

My budget is $2000 - $2500 -- I am willing to go a little high I guess, but need like warranty, etc., the best deal possible.

What to do, I'm so confused between the different Panasonic models, plus throwing in the EDTV vs HDTV, plus where I am suppose to buy. Prefer a local store so I know how it looks like and can be easily returned if not satisfied.

Please help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There are tons of posts on these tvs if you use the search function.

JCPZero

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
One snippet: the speakers included on the consumer are very weak - some of the thinnest sounding speakers I've heard on a set.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In regards to the 42PWD7UY , I would have to connect a home theatre system correct? Secondly, is it HDTV compatible, if I have a HDTV receiver, it should give me that quality. Also, do you all get the extended warranty, is this model available in local stores. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The difference is the 42PWD7UY is just a monitor, just like a PC monitor, the 42PD25U/P is a television set has NTSC and ATSC tuners and speakers. If you want a standalone TV then get the 42PD25U/P, if you use cable or sat tv and have no use for an off-the-air tuner and you don't need the built-in speakers then get the 42PWD7UY. For example, I use sat TV tuner so I have absolutely no use for the built in tuner and I use a home theater, surround sound system so for me I can use the 42PWD7UY, every case is different. The 42PWD7UY is the commercial model and is the 7th generation, the other is the consumer model and is not 7th generation yet so there are advantages to the commercial unit besides better looks and thinner bezzle. Neiher set is HDTV, they are EDTV, only good for 480P, the output of a DVD player. Figure another $1,200 for an HD capable set worthy of 720P (no 1080i plasma sets that I know of). You can plug in an HDTV receiver on the 42PWD7UY and set it to 480P. The 42PD25U/P already has the HDTV (as you call it) receiver built in.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
buellwinkle: At a viewing distance of 12 feet, an ED display will please you on DVD, regular digital, and HD content. It is not HD, as such, but, at 12 feet, you will not be able to tell the difference. I just purchased an ED display (Panasonic) for less than $3000 (with 4 year replacement in the home warranty). The consumer version has about $700 worth of 'extras'. As far as 'looks', between commercial and consumer versions, it is entirely personal opinion. And the built in speakers on the ED Panny are quite good for casual listening. Of course, for more serious listening, an external audio system is preferred. Happy viewing.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by buellwinkle
You can plug in an HDTV receiver on the 42PWD7UY and set it to 480P.
Wrong, you can leave the HDTV receiver in native mode and the 42PWD7UY will accept that signal then downconverted it to its internal resolution. Setting the HDTV receiver to 480p will produce subpar picture.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, still confused, since if I have Dish Network right now and will get a home theater system them the looks like the right choice 42PWD7UY .

If I were to get cable television would i have problems.

The last thing i want to do is spend money and not know whats going or how to operate it.

wht do you all recommend, and do you know any retailers that i can go see the models? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ju421019

If I were to get cable television would i have problems.

No, since the cable television will provide you with a (SDTV or HDTV) tuner as well. The connection will be the same (from receiver to your future plasma) as Dish Network.

·
Registered
47 Posts
FWIW

Since you specifically asked what to buy/where, heres my 2 cents..

I was in my local Costco yesterday and they just got a new batch of Plasmas in..including the consumer Panny 42PD25U/P. I swear to you , they were flying out the door at an attractive price ~ approx $500 less than BB/CCity for the same ED panel. I personally helped talk one guy into buying the ED Panny over the HD Hitachi they had on display. As has been discussed; Costco is a nice place to buy a plasma for the return policy which most in this forum say is a cheaper alternative to an extended warranty..

Yes I did buy the 42PD25U/P 2 days ago and am extremely pleased. I think you will be too. If I hadn't got an even sweeter price deal thru my company vendor prior to seeing them at Costco, I would have bought at Costco.

There is a great community of Panny owners on this forum so this is a great resource if you decide to jump on board the pannywagon.

Good luck

EP

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
MOD NOTE:

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER COSTCO THREAD!!!!!

IT WILL BE CLOSED!

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ju421019
Thanks for the info, by the way how much is it at Costco?
I realize you are a new member, but did you read the post above yours. Also here is some info - only MSRP prices are allowed:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=244337

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
A note on the cablecard - This is a huge long term advantage IMHO. I got a cablecard from my cable company for only 1.75 a month. That' s compared to 11.95/month for the cable box which may also degrade PQ that would be required if I bought the 7UY. While the consumer costs more, the long term savings for me and integration of tuners/speaks to keep things simple and clean were enough to win me over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PDPnNJ
Wrong, you can leave the HDTV receiver in native mode and the 42PWD7UY will accept that signal then downconverted it to its internal resolution. Setting the HDTV receiver to 480p will produce subpar picture.
Just mounted a 42WD7UY in MBR with DVI card installed. DVI from Hughes HDTL. Get 'no signal' using 'native' format. Variable 1,2,3 and individual formats work fine. Is this because of 'type switch when using DVI out on Hughes? Or ???

BTW, it is pretty good on SD w/ prelim DVE + AVS settings calibration done.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I understand your anguish ju421019, it's a pretty confusing and intimidating technology. I personally bought the 7UY because , like you i have a Dish system, so no need for an internal tuner (your Dish box is the tuner) You can install the speakers that you want on it or use a home theater system or both. For your budget i would go with the 7UY, but the warranty for that model is a carry in one, so you would have to bring the display in yourself if something goes wrong. The 25u has a in home warranty (they come to your place) so this may be something to look at. The 25U is i would say more a model for Mr.Everybody who doesn't want to fiddle with his system. The 7UY is more of a "do it yourself type" has more functions but more complicated. Like Mac(25U) vs PC(7UY), And this is my own point of view not a scientific observation.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by renvez
Just mounted a 42WD7UY in MBR with DVI card installed. DVI from Hughes HDTL. Get 'no signal' using 'native' format. Variable 1,2,3 and individual formats work fine. Is this because of 'type switch when using DVI out on Hughes? Or ???

BTW, it is pretty good on SD w/ prelim DVE + AVS settings calibration done.
It could be a DVI issue between 7UY and Hughes.

I have 6UY and TS360 using native w/o problems via Component.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.