AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the jump from an old 32" crt to a flat-panel. I've been racking my brain for a couple weeks now, reading millions of reviews and forum posts, and I think I've finally come to a choice.

Panasonic TH-42PD60U

This will be used for watching basic digital cable broadcasts, DVDs, and a few HD channels. I will be sitting 8-10 feet away and the lighting will be dimmed most of the time.

Our budget is just about as tight as can be and even this one's price point is a stretch (about a grand shipped). I know price talk is discouraged, but it's relevant to my question.

I would like to just get some input on this choice for the budget I'm working with (about 1 grand or less). I initially was looking at the off-brand models, but reliability is key, as is PQ, and the word seems to be that Panasonic is tough to beat. Also, I saw one in action at Fry's and it looked better than the Toshiba and Samsung sitting next to it, and one of those was a higher-res HD unit. The color was spot-on and the blacks were nice and "inky" - and this on a un-calibrated floor model!

If there's another brand or model I should be looking at let's hear it. If you want to cheer or boo this model please do.

Oh yeah, I did look at the industrial models and they are tempting, especially the prices, but I don't have the funds to purchase the necessary add-on's. We don't even have a stereo system to hook up yet.

Thanks! And sorry for breaking the no money talk rule.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
Your decision making process has indeed concluded the best display for your budget and needs, so good job there! The PD60 is a good quality display and better than anything else in that price range. I can't think of any other display that would be better in this size and price range.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu1111 /forum/post/0

I have TH-42PD50U and I like it a lot. Since there isn't much price difference between this and PX version (1024x768), you should certainly go for the PX version.

But the PX version won't display what his basic digital cable broadcasts and DVDs quite as well as an ED set will, and at his 10 foot viewing distance HD content will look virtually the same, if not a bit brighter. Plus the PX version is well over his budget.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got my 42PD60U about a week ago and love it. I went with EDTV for the reason of 480 lines for viewing DVD's, S-VHS recordings and basic cable with a viewing distance of 10.5'. I also use a seperate HD OTA tuner for local HD stations with great results. I tried digital cable, and wasn't happy with the picture dropouts.

If I wanted to use it as a computer monitor, it wouldn't be the proper choice.

I didn"t buy EDTV to save money, I just felt it was the best for MY needs. It was a hard decision for me to make because it wasn't dollar motivated and the majority of opinions seem to be that buying an EDTV is not a smart move at this time.

In about 3 years, if the industry get's their *hit together so hardware works correctly(HDMI 1.9c) and copyright protection for big business is overturned in the courts so we can legally and easily watch in higher definition with time shifting I'll get a larger screen with higher resolution.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I am aware this is an EDTV, but at the moment and for the next year or two it sounds like a good fit. My viewing will mostly be DVDs and digital cable with a few HD programs here and there. That majority of what we watch now is usually stuff like The Office, 30 Rock, ER, Family Guy, American Dad, and random cable shows on the History Channel, Discovery, Animal Planet, Home Network, etc. Also our budget is pretty much maxed out so an extra $200 or so might as well be $500 or a $1000 and would mean no audio system to add on.

In a couple years we'll probably upgrade to HD and move the EDTV to the bedroom. For now though this Panny model sounds like a good deal, especially after seeing how good the PQ looked on the sales floor. Even standing within 4-6 feet didn't seem so bad with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You will notice that those who say "don't get the Panny EDTV" don't have it! Those that have one (like me and several others here) will tell you it is a great set. The HDTV is no huge compromise from the HDTV but slightly noticable up close. When we watch HD football games on the EDTV they are great!!!! As good as the similar Panny HDTV? Maybe not but maybe so to most viewers.

Now, that said, the price difference has come down a ton between the 42PD60 and the 42PX60 so it IS a tough call. We got the 42PD60 more for how it displays regular cable and DVDs than for the cost savings. I use OTA antenna fo HD, usually just sports in our case for now. I do plan to upgrade in several years IF the HDTV content is far more prevalant than now and at a reasonable price.

If you DO get the EDTV, don't worry that when you get it set up it won't "WOW" you when watching HDTV content - It WILL. It also does a fabulous job "stretching" regulat SD TV without making everyone short and fat.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson77 /forum/post/0

This is just personal choice, but I'd prefer to step down to a 37" plasma or LCD HDTV which can be had in your price range rather than having a 42" EDTV display.

Naw, the 37" PX60U's better picture quality won't come into play at his 8-10 foot viewing distance, and at that distance a 42" is kinda on the small side as it is and a 37" would just be too small.

Now if his viewing distance were 4-6 feet, then the 31PX60U would be the one to get

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat_Matt /forum/post/0

EDTV (853x480) Plasma displays seem to be a dying breed, with newer products in HD (1024x768), and you need to decide what the majority of your content's resolution will be to help in your decision making process.

Actually his viewing distance is the most important factor. At 10 feet, the 42" ED and HD Panny plasmas are virtually indistiguishable, even with an HD source.

If the ED Panny can be had for a reasonable discount over the HD, I would definitely go for it. Of course, these discounts are diminishing as prices fall...hence, ED plasmas will be going away.

If I could afford to spend a bit more, I would spend on the 50" HD. But at 42" I'd go ED if I could get a good deal and I wasn't viewing from inside 7-8 feet.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

But the PX version won't display what his basic digital cable broadcasts and DVDs quite as well as an ED set will,

Certainly wrong.. this is very old impression. If anyone who believes it and wants to buy my PD50U for a big discount please contact me (San Francisco area)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

and at his 10 foot viewing distance HD content will look virtually the same, if not a bit brighter. Plus the PX version is well over his budget.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu1111 /forum/post/0

Certainly wrong.. this is very old impression.

Not wrong, and it's still accurate. SD simply looks better and brighter on the ED model than it does on the HD version.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey all.

Well, I went back to Fry's to have a look at the Panny again and yep, it still looks better at 8-10ft than the Samsung, Akai, and Toshiba HD models next to it. And it's a lot cheaper.

Here's another question that occurred to me. With this model would I need an upscaling DVD player to get the best picture? Or simply a nice progressive scan model? It doesn't seem that upscaling would matter as the native resolution on the TV is only 480, which would match the DVD resolution, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrain /forum/post/0

Hey all.

Well, I went back to Fry's to have a look at the Panny again and yep, it still looks better at 8-10ft than the Samsung, Akai, and Toshiba HD models next to it. And it's a lot cheaper.

Here's another question that occurred to me. With this model would I need an upscaling DVD player to get the best picture? Or simply a nice progressive scan model? It doesn't seem that upscaling would matter as the native resolution on the TV is only 480, which would match the DVD resolution, right?

Yeah 480p from my new DVD looks great on the my 42PD60U.

I was using an older player with S-video before and

it looks noticeably better now running 480p component

input.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
314 Posts
I owned a 42PD25 for two years and now own a 42PX600. The 42PD25 was a sixth generation ED set and my current 42PX600 is a ninth generation HD set. I understand the ED sets have improved in two years time, but I can tell you my 42PX600 is better in every way. SD is better. HD is better. Blacks are better. Contrast is better. Colors are better and of course resolution is better.

Considering what 42PX60's can be bought for at the moment, I would recommend stepping up to the HD set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.