AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the TH-42PHD8UK. I am going to upgrade to the 50" 9uk and move the 42" to the bedroom. I do not want to put my htib in the bedroom. Any suggestions for speakers for the 8uk. I do not want to mount the speakers that are available to purchase as an accessory. I remember reading a few people had purchased different speakers that sounded decent. I do not want to use a receiver as I do not need ground-breaking sound for watching cnn in bed. Any suggestions. I attempted to search with no avail. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
You can use pretty much any decent bookshelf speakers for less than $100 for the pair.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

You can use pretty much any decent bookshelf speakers for less than $100 for the pair.

Do you have any recommendations that are not $349/pair. I'm sure those are really nice. Do the speakers need to be self-powered or does the8uk and 9uk have a built-in amp for sound?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker /forum/post/0

Do you have any recommendations that are not $349/pair. I'm sure those are really nice. Do the speakers need to be self-powered or does the8uk and 9uk have a built-in amp for sound?

The speakers don't need to be self-powered - the Industrial models speaker output terminals are 8 watts per channel (16 watt total) and the optional speakers (or is it the outputs?) are rated at 6-ohms so just about any regular 8-ohm stereo type speaker will work. Something like a two-way bookshelf speaker with a 3" or 4" woofer and 1/2" or 3/4" tweeter would sound better than the speakers found on most Consumer models. I'd pick up a pair of inexpensive $60-$100/pair speakers from CC or BB or Radio Shack or even Target, so if you don't like the sound you can exchange them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to set-up some 8-ohm jbl bookshelf speakers i had laying around. I am running my dish-hd box w/component to the pc-in on the 8uk. I got no sound. I also unplugged the optical plug on the hd-box to see if I would get sound...no luck. Obviously, I'm missing something. I have the vip211 dish network box.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well...when I got home I plugged a rca red and white from the tv to the cable box and then plugged in one speaker...I could hear background noise coming from the speaker, but not what was playing...back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your help. At 1st I did not see the audio input beside the pc-in. It is a 1/4 '' line-in jack. I had a rca/line-in converter from radio shack laying around the house. After plugging that ineverything worked perfectly. Now it is time to decide when to pull the trigger on the 50. The recent price drop makes the 50" 9uk $700 cheaper shipped and w/stand than my 42". Wow have these tvs dropped in the last year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.