AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

This is my first post here. So please be patient with me

I'm trying to help my friend to fix her TV which is Panasonic Plasma TH-42PW5UZ .

It died all of sudden without any warning. Right now if we plug in the power cable, the red light blink twice and then steady and then blink twice again and so on.

The screen just completely black out, no flashing or anything else at all. It's just completely blank and black.

Can anybody please guide me or show me the guide how to fix this TV?

Is this condition repairable? Is it worth it to try to fix it ourselves or should I send it to a repair center? One place quote me for around $400 on the phone.

I have some experience with electronic before but not advance. Since this TV is broken, I was thinking to try to fix it myself if it's worth it.

Thanks a lot for the helps.

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
Here is the list of panasonic plasma "blink" codes:

http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=79

Two blinks looks like a D-Board failure. Call up Panasonic tech support and tell them the symptoms and see what they quote for a repair. Call around, you may be able to find a local TV repair place that can order the part and do the repair for less.

Can you do it yourself? That's up to you to decide, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable opening up a plasma and tinkering but hey...

Chances are it will be several hundred $$ to repair, which then brings up the question of whether it's worth repairing a 5-6 year-old ED plasma when you can buy a brand new, HD version of the same TV (10UK or 11UK model) for around $800-900 these days.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
In these models, count the blinks as they go dark, not as they light up.

Generally speaking, a fault on th eSU or SD board will cause the 2 blink failure.

As in stereo amp repair, this error code can be isolated to either the upper or lower half of the screen.

The SU and SD boards are on the left edge of the unit as viewed from the rear. Remove the mounting screws and the pull the SU to the left away from the SC board leaving the ribbon cables to the panel connected.

Be careful that nothing is touching that will cause a short and power up looking for a good bottom half of the screen.

If this doesn't work, replace the SU (TNPA2626) and remove the SD (TNPA2627) now looking for a good top half of the screen.

If neither of these gives a picture, probably the SC board (TNPA2534AB) is bad.

Most common failure is the SU - TNPA2626 approx. $125 from Panasonic Parts. These are a bit tricky to replace, the ribbon cables must be reconnected exactly perpendicular and fully inserted or the panel could be damaged.

TW

37_42PW5_blink_codes.pdf 35.068359375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Batpig,

Thanks for the info.

Will this chart apply to the TV I'm trying to fix since I couldn't find the model # on your chart?

Yeah, I'm also wondering if it's worth it or not to fix this TV.

Let me ask Panasonic again to see how much they'll quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/14306042

Here is the list of panasonic plasma "blink" codes:

Two blinks looks like a D-Board failure. Call up Panasonic tech support and tell them the symptoms and see what they quote for a repair. Call around, you may be able to find a local TV repair place that can order the part and do the repair for less.

Can you do it yourself? That's up to you to decide, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable opening up a plasma and tinkering but hey...

Chances are it will be several hundred $$ to repair, which then brings up the question of whether it's worth repairing a 5-6 year-old ED plasma when you can buy a brand new, HD version of the same TV (10UK or 11UK model) for around $800-900 these days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Techniwizard,

Thanks for the guide. I'll try this later at home.

So, are you saying that I just need to take one of those boards off and power on the TV?

Or should I get a replacement for that board first and put the new one before I power on?

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question. I just want to make sure I'll do it right.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyee /forum/post/14311581

Techniwizard,

Thanks for the guide. I'll try this later at home.

So, are you saying that I just need to take one of those boards off and power on the TV?

Or should I get a replacement for that board first and put the new one before I power on?

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question. I just want to make sure I'll do it right.

Thanks again.

Just remove one board at a time before you spend any $$$.

TW

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
I am no expert and don't want to speak for Techniwizard, but I believe what he was suggesting was a way for you to troubleshoot the problem at home on your own and try to figure out which of three possible boards was causing the problem.

In other words, remove one, turn it on and see if the bottom half works. Then remove the other one (putting the first one back) and see if the top half works. If neither of things do the trick, you have your probable answer. That way you can (hopefully) isolate the problem.

However, you have to ask yourself if you are really comfortable disassembling and playing around inside a plasma. Is it worth saving a couple hundred bucks if a professional can repair it for $400-500? If you are cool with it, by all means go for it, but be careful...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yeah, what he said...LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,

You both are very helpful.

Well, I'll ask my friend first if she trusts me enough or not to fix it,

·