AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody explain to me the difference between having the ability to receive 720p and having HDTV? I have the Panasonic Plasma TH-42PWD5UY, which can be found

http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat...-42pwd5uy.html

One of the features they listed is:

Expanded Computer and Video Signal Capability - 480i/p, 575i/p, 720p, 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 1080/24p/24sf

Does this mean if I get a HDTV receiver/tuner, I can actually watch HDTV (the TV also have component video inputs, don't know if that matters)? They also have a HDTV model (42PHD5UY), and the only difference is that that one has a higher native resolution, does that mean that I can't watch HDTV because I have a lower resolution?

One other question. That plasma TV is obviously sized in a retangular shape (16:9 perhaps?), why is it that when I watch DVDs that have widescreen, it still doesn't adjust properly, and when I watch shows like CSI that is "broadcast in widescreen", it's still showing the 2 black bars top and bottom?

Thanks for all your help!

-Phil

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Phil,

I have the exact same Plasma that you do. I also recommend browsing over to the Plasma forum. But since you did has a HDTV question, I'll try and answer it for you here.

You're 42PWD is a EDTV model and not the HDTV model (as you mentioned). This means that we will only see at best a 480p image on the screen. The Video Signal Capabilities that you listed are support as valid input signals. 480i/p, 720p, 1080i, etc.. can be inputted into this plasma, but they will still be shown at 480p on the display.

I watch many HD programs on my Plasma and they look great. I see 14' back, so I lose some detail even from 480p at that distance, I'm at no loss by not having the HD model plasma.

Cyclone

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.