AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie when it comes to these plasma displays so bare with me for a sec or two.

I read the specs on this display and it says HDTV ready , yet it is not HD it is ED? I am guessing because of the pixel range is only 852 X 480 opposed to at least 1024x768? That has gotten me a little confused. I see no tuner comes with it either? I will be getting directv and would like to view the hd channels and also get some OTA .. I assume this is possible with a HD tuner from directv?

This is really the display that I want after actually looking at them in the stores and reading the threads in this forum.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You can view HD signals probably like you have seen in the stores. This model shows HD signals better than some true HD competitors, but not all. There are HD tuners for any OTA HD broadcasts. You will be able to view your direcTV HD signals with this set and you will likely be pleased with the results. Obviously you can view signals of non-HD variety as well. If you do not purchase the matching speakers, you will need way to listen to it all obviously, IE audio signal to an A/V receiver etc. Hope this covers it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do most sat recievers have both a tuner for hd/sat and ota, or do I have to get two different tuners? In the specs it lists two built in 8 X audio power amplifiers for optional speakers .. could I hook up existing in wall speakers without using a A/V reciever?

Thanks ,

Bill

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Those speakers are specific for the panny including how they connect as well. You definetly cannot just hook up a couple of speakers you might have lying around. I suppose a tekkie type person could figure out how to do it, but I dont have a clue. I am assuming you might want to watch DVDs sometime. The other question probably has an answer not related to plasma monitors versus any other type of display, so however it might work with your chosen provider and any TV is how it would work with the Plasma.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake
Do most sat recievers have both a tuner for hd/sat and ota, or do I have to get two different tuners? In the specs it lists two built in 8 X audio power amplifiers for optional speakers .. could I hook up existing in wall speakers without using a A/V reciever?

Thanks ,

Bill
You can simply hook up most speakers to this plasma. Make sure you don't have an impedance mismatch.

Chucko

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got the free ATSC tuner with mine and it looks EXCELLENT with an HD signal. You won't be disappointed with the picture PQ. That's cool if you can get OTA signals (also)with the Direct-TV STB. You should be able to hook up any small speakers to those outputs, just remember there isn't much power there

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your respones. Glad to know also that several people have ordered displays from a certain site and had good luck on the shipping. This display will be going in the kitchen and should work out just fine.

Thanks again,

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.