AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't bought one yet, but I'm really considering it. I have one set of component video cables currently going to my TV (which are actually hooked up to my PS2, GameCube, and DVD player), one s-video cable for my sat. dish, and one composite video cable for my VCR (which I hardly ever use except to watch Star Wars). With the standard connections on the back of this Panny can I plug all of these in at once or will I have to buy those add-on cards? Also, will I have to buy those BNC converter plugs so I can plug my standard cables into the back of the TV?

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you buy from VisualApex, they will include the BNC to RCA plugs for free.

The only issue I see is the composite and S-Video are shared. If you have S-Video connected, even without a signal, then the composite no worky. I found this out this weekend trying to hook everything up.

In my case, here is what I wanted:

Composite, coming from receiver which has cable box, VCR, and DVD composite connections connected.

S-Video coming from DVD player

Component, coming from cable box for HD channels

DVI, connected to HTPC.

The VGA is sitting unused because Frys wanted $200 for a component to VGA cable. I basically told the salesperson that Monster Cables were not worth $20, let alone $200, and it was only three feet long, and I need about nine feet long.

When I get a custom made RCA to VGA DB15 cable made, then I can get component from the DVD player again, and I don't need to worry about S-Video.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
TH-42PWD6UY Inputs =

(1) Free Slot - Possible to add optional cards.

(1) S-Video/Composite*

(1) Component / RGB

(1) Component / VGA - The DB-15 input can be configurated to accept Component.

* The S-Video/Composite inputs on Panasonic Plasmas are shared. You have to use either one. With both cables connected S-Video disables Composite

EDIT: Jeepman beat me. :D

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so let me make sure I've got this right. I can plug in my single component video cable (controlling DVD and game consoles) and I can plug in my satellite via s-video and everything should be fine, right? I'll just have to find another way to plug in my VCR.... buying one with s-video out is an obvious solution, but I really don't use it much. Anyway, does that sound like that should work ok?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Yup.

For the S-Video you can buy the optional TY-42TM6V S-Video/ Composite card and put on the free slot 1. The price is a bit expensive $145 (List).

Another option is to use a Receiver to do the switching

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I remember correctly, I tried to plug the video from the vcr directly into my stereo receiver (Denon AVR-3802) however since I have a higher quality input/output signal (component vid.) it doesn't want to recognize the composite video feed. So I just use the front video input on the TV when I want to use the vcr. Buying a VCR with s-video capabilities would probably be the best bet.... much cheaper than buying an add-on card...hehe.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glauco BruZZi
TH-42PWD6UY Inputs =

(1) Free Slot - Possible to add optional cards.

(1) S-Video/Composite*

(1) Component / RGB

(1) Component / VGA - The DB-15 input can be configurated to accept Component.

EDIT: Jeepman beat me. :D

Does anyone have any thoughts as to which is better: The component or the DB15 configured to accept component?

Bomber

·
Registered
476 Posts
Bomber,

"Theoretically," 3 quality component cables should be better.

Practically, you may not see any difference.

It's always best to test different options anyway.

My preference would be digital :).

DVI vs. analog did make a difference on my 19" LCD monitor.

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DimaM
I am awaiting my 6uy from Dell.

Could someone explain how the VGA to Component cable works.

I have a VGA to 5 BNC cable with R, G, B, Vhold, and Hhold.

Will it work?

Thank you,

Dimitry
I think you can use the VGA/5 BNC cable and just not use the Vhold and Hhold connections. Go to the Bluejeans Cable site. They have a picture and an explanation of the cable.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last night I tried to find some VCRs online that had s-video output. I suppose these are the s-vhs VCRs. They aren't very cheap....sheeh. You'd think that with DVD players being so popular that VCRs would be real cheap. Anyway, can anybody point me in a direction where I could find a good quality s-vhs VCR, but not spend a fortune?

If I do get the 6UY I am also going to want to replace my 4yr old Sony DVD player since I don't think progressive scan even existed at that point. This is a piece of hardware I wouldn't want to skimp on since I want a good quality picture as well as player performance (no glitches/chapter breaks). If somebody could clue me in on some good ones I could look at I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quote:
Last night I tried to find some VCRs online that had s-video output. I suppose these are the s-vhs VCRs.
Nickeleye

If the link below doesn't work
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...33&Submit.y=10

do this:

- goto: http://www.bhphotovideo.com

- select "Video Consumer" category on the left

- select "VHS & SVHS VCRs"

- select S-VHS VCR type

- submit the search.

Buy a JVC VCR for a couple of hundred dollars.

B&H Photo Video is a reputable business worth supporting.

Mike

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nickeleye

I would think a multi-thousand TV set is expensive. $200 VCR is not.

The S-VHS format requires higher-quality mechanics and electronics.

You get better-quality gear, not just another format.

The S-VHS tapes are expensive though.

For that reason, JVC develeped new technology (a couple years ago), which lets you use "regular" tapes for S-VHS recording.

Mike

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$200 is expensive for a VCR (to me anyway) when you can get a good progressive scan DVD player for less... which is another thing I am going to have to buy. Anyway, maybe I should just reiterate the reasons for a new VCR. I want a VCR with an s-video output. I don't really care about recording since I hardly ever do that. I don't really care about special features. I don't watch all kinds of S-VHS tapes.... like I said, the only movies I watch on tape are the Star Wars trilogy. Do any standard VHS VCRs have s-video out? Point is that I'm trying to avoid buying a $150 add-on card for the TV. If an S-VHS costs more than $150 I could just buy the card. I hope that this makes sense. If I could plug in my component video cable, s-video for my satellite feed AND composite cable from the VCR I'd be set, but I can't do the s-video and composite at the same time on this TV... hence either get a VCR with s-video out or buy the composite video card for the TV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.