AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY. I realize that in home service would be an issue.

I called a local authorized Panny service guy, and asked if I could pay extra for in home if the need arises. He said flat out that Panasonic WOULD NOT SEND HIM PARTS OR PAY FOR THEM. It is carry in only......this is a real problem. I know that they are reliable, but I wouldn't want to have to remove this from the wall and take it in for service.

Any thoughts...anyone else deal with this yet????

:confused:

·
Registered
792 Posts
CathyR,

I am usually not a proponent of extended warranties, but in some cases they are worth it. If you plan on buying your TV online, most online retailers offer extended warranties, and many include in-home service.

For example, I bought the same TV you are talking about from TV Authority and got their 4-year warranty for an additional $280 or so. It extended the mfg warranty from 1 to 4 years, and includes in-home service.

I point this out because it may be something you want to consider.

Hope this helps,

Phil

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Phil....does that mean that the first year you would have to hope that nothing goes wrong? I thought that most extended warranties don't kick in till after the manufacturer's? Maybe I am reading them wrong.......this is so confusing!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Cathy,

I'm not really sure, but I was given the impression that the in-home service starts immediately. But I didn't ask that specific question. Sorry! I would expect that when you go to buy your display that you can simply ask. If the service isn't what you want, then don't buy.

Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this issue two weeks ago when my 42HD6UY died after two days. I called the local Panasonic Service center and they informed me to take a unit directly to an authorized third party. They do not service the plasmas in house (to my surprise). I was fortunate to have a third party service center close by otherwise the set would have to go to the service center then be shipped to the third party and back. Not an appealing process.

-kian

·
Registered
488 Posts
You should probably read through the threads for the TH-42PA20 shut down issues. The link is below. It turns out the in-home service sometimes isn't in-home. Sometimes they remove it for the repair.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=302017

Also, I bought this model (6UY) in September and did have to have it serviced for the shut-down problem (apparently fixed for models manufatured after August 03). It was a painless process for me. Panasonic arranged to ship the part needed to a local servicer 2nd day air. When it arrived, I brought it in (original box) first thing in the morning and had it back in the afternoon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a Panny TH-42PWD5UY go bad after 9 months. It is really not that difficult to take off the wall, put it back in its original box, and haul it to the authorized service center.

My closest service center was 3 1/2 hours away. If I had in-home warranty, I figure the repair guy would probably travel from the same location. I would have to sit around and wait until he could schedule some time to drive here. Since the panel was bad, he would have to take it away anyway.

Then again, what is "not that difficult" for one person can be next to impossible for another person. I can't imagine my wife being able to haul the plasma in by herself.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
CathyR,

You are close enough to take the unit up to Secaucus if it should need factory service.

Then again, T. Wiz is just down the road in Keansburg....

(gave up moonlighting years ago after TVs stopped having little light up things inside...)

OTOH, any authorized servicer can order parts and get paid for warranty labor. They don't get paid for the house call but there is no restriction as far as I know if you carry it in, or pay extra to have him carry it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.