AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be the proud owner of my first plasma. I've researched this model here for a bit, and would like to get some quick questions answered regarding accessories.

I sincerely apologize if these questions were previously answered. Due to the popularity of this TV at avsforum, its been somewhat difficult to search for specific details (many of the threads are HUGE :eek: ).

1) HDMI versus DVI blade.

Is there a reason to get one over the other? I’ve noticed some mention that HDMI prevents 1:1 mappings (and any other non-standard HDTV res). Is this true? It’s likely I'll use a PC at times, so I would like the option of a 1:1 mapping and other resolutions.

2) Stand and Mounting recommendations.

Since I’m currently in an apartment, I’ll probably get a stand for now. However, I will wall mount it once I get a house next year.

Please share any impressions you have with whatever solution you used! I haven’t really looked into the mounts yet, but for the stands I see that Pana offers the TY-ST07K (U-shaped base), and TY-ST08K (round base) … anyone using these?

Thank you in advance!

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT
1) HDMI versus DVI blade.

Is there a reason to get one over the other? I’ve noticed some mention that HDMI prevents 1:1 mappings (and any other non-standard HDTV res). Is this true? It’s likely I'll use a PC at times, so I would like the option of a 1:1 mapping and other resolutions.
I have seen reports that the HDMI board takes native rate if feed from a DVI source. However, since the manufacturer does not officailly support it, I would just get a DVI. If you are worried, get one of each. You will lose your S-Video connection so it depends on what you will be connecting.

-- Rich

·
Registered
62 Posts
how you plan to do native 1:1 mapping? i think that standard cards (nvidia and ati) don't provide the resolution of 852X480!

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,096 Posts
I have not tried that resolution since my plasma is 1366x768.

I was unable to properly display that resolution with ATI, but my NVidia 6800 works perfectly since it support resolutions that are not a multiple of 8.

I would be very surprised if NVidia did not also support 852X480.

-- Rich

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So HDMI really offers no real advantage then? I think I'll just go for the DVI.

Any recommendations for stands and mounts?

·
Registered
375 Posts
First time user of the board so please cut me some slack if this question has been asked and answered previously.

I'm planning on buying a Panny TH-42PWD8UK with speakers. Total weight will be approximately 73 pounds. My new condo is built with metal studs. Will the wall mount be able to support the plasma? Anyone have any experience with this type of installation?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.