AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening while watching TV, my TH-42PX20 went out. I can't turn off/on the set...no sound when manually hitting the power button as well as using the remote.

Is it a power supply? A circuit board? Is it worth repairing or time to get a new set? If it does need repairs, should I just call Panasonic tech support for authorized service provider? I'm in Los Angeles if that helps.

Until now the picture was still terrific with no fade after 8 years.

Appreciate any advice/input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
@KidHorn: That's not a very constructive reply. It is possible this could just be a fuse. It's not the best solution to just always buy a new TV. Some people would rather spend a couple dollars and a few minutes of time to purchase a new fuse than to spend a thousand or more on a new TV.

@LANewbie: Unplug the TV and plug it back in after a little bit. If it still does not work, do you hear a click at all? Is there a standby light? If so, does it blink a certain number of times? Does it blink right after plugging it in? Or does it blink after pushing the power button?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Or even talk to a local shop and take it in there.

All repair work is cheaper if you take it in. You aren't paying for a tech to drive. Look for a place that has good reviews, a Panasonic authorized shop isn't the only place capable of repairing that set. For a set that old, any shop with decent techs will have had experience with it.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FM:

Thanks for the reply. I left the set unplugged for awhile and when I attempt to start, I hear nothing..no sounds.

If it's a fuse, how much does that run? I'm doing the analysis of new set or repair.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANewbie /forum/post/20864958

74:

Appreciate the reply and advice. As FM mentioned above, if it's a fuse, do you have an idea of what that would cost?

Thanks.

That set is probably too old to have repaired. It would probably cost you $150 to $500 to get it fixed. You can buy a new and far better one for around $600 or so. Unless you can fix it yourself, such as a blown fuse, I would move on to a new one. My guess is either a blown fuse (cheap), or your power supply is out (expensive) if you see no standy light.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck /forum/post/20865721

My guess is either a blown fuse (cheap), or your power supply is out (expensive) if you see no standy light.

Considering the cost of a new plasma, taking a chance on repairing the old one might be worthwhile.

A power supply is available on eBay for $90 or best offer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If it were just a fuse,,,and a big IF. It shouldn't cost much. Power supplies can be expensive to replace (cost of part). Some of these I will do at component level if the parts are avail., but tried one the other day (px or pz77u) and couldn't find the transistors in the US.

As far as being too old for repair, I respectfully dis agree. I have a PA 25 that I keep as a backup set. And every time one of my newer sets fail, that gets called into duty. I just prefer a 50" as my main set or this would be the main one.

Jim

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANewbie /forum/post/20912728

I found a repair shop that does circuit work and had 2 transistors replaced.

Any idea which transistors were replaced, and on what board?

·
Registered
6,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelf17 /forum/post/20912788

I guess that must KidHorn in the corner......eating humble pie????

LOL

$200 to repair an 8 year old 1024x768 TV. Plus the time and effort of getting it fixed. He would have been better off putting the $200 towards a new TV. For about $200 more, he could have bought a new 42" 1080p TV.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn
$200 to repair an 8 year old 1024x768 TV. Plus the time and effort of getting it fixed. He would have been better off putting the $200 towards a new TV. For about $200 more, he could have bought a new 42" 1080p TV.
Well Kid, he sounded happy to me not taking your advice and investigtaing repair options on his own.....and in the long run......that's all that matters.

Good job Lanewbie

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelf17 /forum/post/20917431

Well Kid, he sounded happy to me not taking your advice and investigtaing repair options on his own.....and in the long run......that's all that matters.

Good job Lanewbie

It's a questionable call as it may be $200.00 today and then another $200.00 or more tomorrow as once parts start to fail it can also snowball. It happened to me on an old Mitsubishi several years ago as it went out and so I purchased a new set and let the old set sit there for about a year and then finally took it in for an estimate. It seemed reasonable to repair it for the $200.00 they estimated so I gave the okay. About 6 months later it went out again and the next trip was to the recycler. I wish I had the $200.00 back. No reason to attack the kid as his suggestion did have some merit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The set could very well last until he gets a new TV too. KidHorn: Some people may not have that extra $200 to spend. Also, I'm not sure that I would want a $400 42" 1080p TV.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDinc /forum/post/20924645

yes, but if HE is happy with it then its worth it.

It's great that he's happy and hopefully he will be happy for awhile, but that has nothing to do with someone offering up another opinion. If the set lasts awhile he will likely remain happy. If he has another problem in the next year not so much. I've been on both sides.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
close thread now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.