AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a two year old model with the built-in TV Guide On-Screen system.

I've started having an intermittent problem when I go to change channels using the Favorites button on the remote. The TV will suddenly enter a "Self Check" process in which it first changes to a default channel (3) in full-screen aspect mode and runs some sort of internal diagnostic. When that is completed, a screen of results appears in green text (I haven't written down the details, but everything is shown as "OK"). Both during and after this process, all controls on both the remote and the front panel are non-functional. All I can then do is hold in the panel's power button to force a power off/on recycle. When it comes back on, everything is reset to factory defaults.

I called Panasonic Plasma Concierge, but they had no idea what could cause this and referred me to a local authorized service outfit. A service tech came out, and of course this problem didn't manifest itself while he was here. He didn't run any kind of diagnostics; all he did was recommend replacing the "processor". I don't have an extended warranty, so that could be expensive.

My reception input is Comcast cable with a SA cable card, if that's of any relevance.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspadoni /forum/post/12958604

This is a two year old model with the built-in TV Guide On-Screen system.

I've started having an intermittent problem when I go to change channels using the Favorites button on the remote. The TV will suddenly enter a "Self Check" process in which it first changes to a default channel (3) in full-screen aspect mode and runs some sort of internal diagnostic. When that is completed, a screen of results appears in green text (I haven't written down the details, but everything is shown as "OK"). Both during and after this process, all controls on both the remote and the front panel are non-functional. All I can then do is hold in the panel's power button to force a power off/on recycle. When it comes back on, everything is reset to factory defaults.

I called Panasonic Plasma Concierge, but they had no idea what could cause this and referred me to a local authorized service outfit. A service tech came out, and of course this problem didn't manifest itself while he was here. He didn't run any kind of diagnostics; all he did was recommend replacing the "processor". I don't have an extended warranty, so that could be expensive.

My reception input is Comcast cable with a SA cable card, if that's of any relevance.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.

I realize this is an old post, but I am having the exact same problem with a 4 yr old TH42PD50 Panasonic plasma. Did you ever figure out what was wrong and/or fix the problem?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts