AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I found these forums from searching on my latest purchase and was rather excited to see how well recieved it has been by the community at large. I ended up with this unit with some coupons from Bestbuy and doing a few side by side comparisons. The TV is doing just fine, I've had it since Saturday. I did maybe 10-15 hours of that DVD, but other than that I've been watching mostly 16:9 programming or setting the aspect to Just.

I have a Tivo HD, XBox 360, Wii, and PS2 hooked up to the back.

My question is mostly with how the Tivo and TV handle HD channels. This evening for example I was watching Fox, most commercials are in 16:9 but every so often one would be 3:4 or some other ratio. Setting the TV to Just causes problems when the ratio is really 16:9 but looks great all other times. Am I missing a setting that would switch between the two automatically or is that just me dreaming?

On the Tivo, I set the Video > Video Output Format to Hybrid (Displays all 1080p and 1080i video at 1080i, 720p video at 720p, and all SD video at 480p.) Should I just set it to 720p Hybrid which forces all HD to 720p and all SD to 480p? It also has its own aspect correction, I thought the tv could do a better job (maybe I'm wrong?) so I set it to Panel, but maybe I should set it to full or zoom?

I just want to try to minimize the black bars, but both the TV and Tivo seem to not recognize when its just a commercial so neither puts the grey (what I set it to) bars, so they remain black.

Maybe I'm just being too cautious? I've read a lot of useful information on these forums but couldn't find anything exactly related to these questions. I appreciate any input. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novataglio /forum/post/12974601

.....My question is mostly with how the Tivo and TV handle HD channels. This evening for example I was watching Fox, most commercials are in 16:9 but every so often one would be 3:4 4:3 or some other ratio. Setting the TV to Just causes problems when the ratio is really 16:9 but looks great all other times. Am I missing a setting that would switch between the two automatically or is that just me dreaming?

The problem is that most commercials are still in 4:3 mode and the black bars are added by the broadcaster. The TV (as well as all other brands except for some Philips models) cannot detect the presence of black bars during commercials so it cannot automatically stretch them. Basically you're stuck with the black sidebars during commercials on the "HD" channels, but it will not hurt your Panasonic.

Quote:
On the Tivo, I set the Video > Video Output Format to Hybrid (Displays all 1080p and 1080i video at 1080i, 720p video at 720p, and all SD video at 480p.) Should I just set it to 720p Hybrid which forces all HD to 720p and all SD to 480p? It also has its own aspect correction, I thought the tv could do a better job (maybe I'm wrong?) so I set it to Panel, but maybe I should set it to full or zoom? I just want to try to minimize the black bars, but both the TV and Tivo seem to not recognize when its just a commercial so neither puts the grey (what I set it to) bars, so they remain black.

The best setting for your TivoHD is to use PANEL only (that's what i use on my Tivo Series 3). I also have my Tivo set to output everything at 1080i Fixed because i've found that all the channels look crisper and more detailed on both my 42PZ700U as well as my older 42PX50U. Using 720p Fixed makes the image too soft and i lose a lot of the detail. I don't use 1080i Hybrid because that causes too much of a delay when switching between an HD channel and a non-HD channel and it irritates me, and Speedchannel and other SD channels look softer at 480p than they do at 1080i. When i'm watching a non-HD 4:3 channel i simply put the TV into JUST mode or i just watch it in 4:3 with black bars. These new Panasonics are very resistant to IR and burn-in so you shouldn't worry too much about black bars during the small amount of time the 4:3 commercials are on the screen. I've got about 1200 hours on my 42PZ700U and watch 4:3 SD with black bars about 30% of the time and there isn't a hint of burn-in on my set. Same goes for my old 2005 42PX50U - no evidence of burn-in at all despite over two years of watching the same amount of 4:3 SD programming.

Ideally, i think you should set your TivoHD to Panel, and use either 1080i Hybrid or 1080i Fixed and not let it output anything at 720p. If you use 1080i Hybrid, you can use JUST for the non-HD channels and the TV will automatically switch from FULL to JUST mode when you switch from an HD channel to a non-HD channels, and go back to FULL mode when you switch back to an HD channel. With 1080i Fixed, the non-HD channels will default to 4:3 mode and the Tivo will add black sidebars to the image and you'll have to manually put the TV into JUST mode to stretch it. You should also be able to set the Tivo to make the sidebars gray in the settings menu (my S3 can).

Try it both ways and see which setting you like best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess a lot of the stuff I've read has scared me from actually enjoying the plasma. I do play games a lot and most Wii games are at resolution that even stretched there are black bars on the left and right, anytime I see black I think, "Oh no I'm going to ruin it if I play for too long!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts