AVS Forum banner

Panasonic TH-42PX80U or Samsung PN42A400??

  • Panasonic TH-42PX80U

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Samsung PN42A400

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't sleep over this decision. Both have the same price tag and similar features... I would love to hear from owners of either one and if anyone could help me make this decision I would greatly appreciate it.


Btw, sound quality is not a factor in making my decision, and both have plenty of connections. THANKS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but how about other factors such as 'burn-in'. I see they both claim to have some type of anti-burn in technology, but then I see a whole bunch of threads related to fixing the problem or dedicated to preventing it. Is that something I should be worried about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf26 /forum/post/15434228


Thanks, but how about other factors such as 'burn-in'. I see they both claim to have some type of anti-burn in technology, but then I see a whole bunch of threads related to fixing the problem or dedicated to preventing it. Is that something I should be worried about?

Burn-in is grossly blown out of proportion. Pannys and sammys have great anti-burn-in tech built into them. If your really worried about it, use a break-in disc for the first 50 hours or so to age the phosphors. I own 2 plasmas. A panny 50" 9uk and a panny 42" 85u. I game heavily on both and have never had anything more than a "ghosting" that lasted more than 5 minutes after the TV was shut off.


Both TV's have a great picture. I would get the panasonic but if you can find the sammy for a lot less, get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
I was faced with the same problem when I was buying my daughter a 50" model for her livingroom. In the end I went with the Panny because it has better Blacks, IR, Sound & most of all better Build Quality, Parts & Service. The Sammy does have better color though.


Also $699 seems high for both of these models because they have been on sale at places for under $600 so I would check around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15434376


...$699 seems high for both of these models because they have been on sale at places for under $600 so I would check around.

Thanks for the comment. I found this price with free shipping included though. I've seen both tv's advertised at lower prices but then with $100+ for shipping, so that added up. I will keep looking around for lower prices though. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
Also if I'm not mistaken, the Sammy 400 model is a "Black Friday Special" type model that I think is stripped down & missing some inputs & etc compared to the "Regular" Sammy 42" 720p model which is the 450.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, I compared those two (the Samsung 400 and 450) a couple of times and couldn't find much difference except about $100 more for the 450. (I mainly look for picture quality comparisons.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15434924


The 80U was one of the worst Pannys made. Lots of video noise and artifacts and it's dim. I would look real close because anytime I look at plasmas it's the worst of the bunch

Interesting.. first anti-Panasonic comment. Out of 93 amazon reviews, however, 73 actual owners of the tv rated it 5 stars and 19 rated 4 stars. That's pretty good, I consider. On newegg, the tv was also rated 5 stars by 28 out of 30 reviewers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf26 /forum/post/15434970


Interesting.. first anti-Panasonic comment. Out of 93 amazon reviews, however, 73 actual owners of the tv rated it 5 stars and 19 rated 4 stars. That's pretty good, I consider. On newegg, the tv was also rated 5 stars by 28 out of 30 reviewers.

If you had researched the Owners Thread here for that set you would have seen tons of negative comments about video artifacts and dim picture. It's no secrets that the 80u was Panasonics worst effort in years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
When a tv has a pricetag of 700 dollars...LOL the expectations are not that of a set worth 4 times as much, or 8 times as much. For the money...they rock. I want a Px80u, but Panasonic stopped making them, and finding one in stock is getting tuff, and in Canada the prices suck on this unit compared to the US. 720p sets are dissapearing...likely cheaper to make a 1080p panel due to economy of scale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15434924


The 80U was one of the worst Pannys made. Lots of video noise and artifacts and it's dim. I would look real close because anytime I look at plasmas it's the worst of the bunch

Interesting comments. I looked at the Samsung A400 and 450 next to the Panny's and ended up with the Panny. Very happy with the decision, I've had it for two weeks and am just blown away by the picture. I had my heart set on something with a PC input and gave it up in favor of the reviews and general comments on the 80U here. The only thing that would have made me happier is if I got the 50" instead of the 42", but that was my budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
NEWBEE here, interseting post as I just purchased the Panasonic. I was originally looking at a Toshiba 40", 1080p set for $719. Then decided to look at some less expensive sets, in particular an add caught my eye for a Samsung 40" Plasma at Brands Mart. When I went to the store they were out of the Samsung and Substituted the Panasonic for the same price, I jumped at it and love the set so far.


I am using it with a over the air antenna and my Netflix Roku box, the picture is fantastic and the sound with the built in speakers is excellent.


Great price for a great TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
Heck yeah it is, that's a steal for a solid, not spectacular, 42" plasma.

Heck the equivalent 18 months ago would have cost nearly $1500!


I wish we had costco, compusa, brandsmart, fry's or the like up here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15434986


If you had researched the Owners Thread here for that set you would have seen tons of negative comments about video artifacts and dim picture. It's no secrets that the 80u was Panasonics worst effort in years.

Are you talking about the PX80? I've never heard it called dim. The noise can be eliminated by using "cinema" mode. Like most Panasonics, video modes other than cinema are pretty noisy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15434986


If you had researched the Owners Thread here for that set you would have seen tons of negative comments about video artifacts and dim picture. It's no secrets that the 80u was Panasonics worst effort in years.

omeletpants is a Samsung fanboy and takes every opportunity he can to bash Panasonic. You can't really take him serious. It's funny, haven't been to the site in a week and he's still going on with his crusade for his lover Samsung. Don't you ever get out man?
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top