AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic TH-42PX80U plasma HDTV and am encountering a subtle, unusual problem with voice sound as it is played through the built-in speakers. Certain (but not all) voices seem to have a "distorted overtone" (my terminology) that makes the voice sound fuzzy/raspy. This is at normal volumes - nothing particularly loud. And not all the voices that are subject to the distortion exhibit it at all times -- it must depend on the exact frequency content of a particular audio passage. It is reproducible in that an offending passage (i.e. a particular run of dialogue from a DVD or DVR recording) consistently exhibits the distortion.

This apparently is a little different from the sound issue that Gustavio posted in December 2008 -- that problem was remediated by turning down the treble; I tried that and it did not change the distortion I am hearing.

I called Panasonic and they say they have not heard of this issue before. It is encountered over the HDMI connection from our Verizon FIOS set-top box, and also over the separate HDMI connection from our Samsung upscaling DVD player: i.e., two separate original sources, two separate HDMI cables and two separate HMDI jacks are involved. If I turn off the speakers and play the sound only through the audio outputs in the back of the television, I do NOT hear the distortion, so I strongly suggest a problem with either the speaker circuitry or the speakers themselves. This first was noticed about 4 months after we got the television.

Any insight you might have into this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the EXACT same issue with a TH-46PZ80U. Had the TV about 5 months as well and it's only started happening over the last month or so.

I haven't tried turning down the treble yet and will give that a shot. But given that it hasn't worked for you, I'm not holding out too much hope of it working for me either.

It's very mild and very inconsistent in what voices get that distorted vibe, but it's increasingly frustrating and seems to get worse the longer the TV's on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting your experience - interesting that you are having the same problem. I finally gave up and am running all the TV sound through a Bose Cinemate system, and that sounds great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts