AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just took receipt of my TH-42PZ85U and in unboxing it I noticed a few strange things. My first question is how many cooling fans are on the back of the unit? On my unit there are 5 openings but only 4 of them have fans in them as referenced by the image below:

I tried poking around on Google looking for images of the back of the unit and haven't had much luck but I did see this eBay auction for some fans pulled from a TH-42PZ85U and it shows 5 fans not 4:

(The item number is 370096060435 if you want to look it up)

Additionally, it looks like the rear of the TV has been dented and is causing some buckling on the metal plate as seen in the image below:

The external box shows no indication of the slightest damage so I am wondering if this was done at the factory.

I haven't powered it up yet as I'm waiting on someone to help me lift it onto a stand later today. So my questions are...

(1) Should I have 4 or 5 fans? Are newer units shipping with only 4 fans?

(2) How worried should I be about the dent?

Thanks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
weird. I don't own a Panny Plasma YET, but should I be concerned about this if I ever get this model and it only has 4 fans?

did any of you guys call Panny customer service and ask them about this?

I would mention that others have gotten TVs with 5 fans (i assume that's the case, otherwise you guys wouldn't be confused, right?), and that your sets only have 4.

I'd be curious to know their response/explanation.

PS: oh and when you look into the "empty" slot, do you even see the mounting hardware for a fan? what does that area look like?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 /forum/post/15558985

did any of you guys call Panny customer service and ask them about this?

I would mention that others have gotten TVs with 5 fans (i assume that's the case, otherwise you guys wouldn't be confused, right?), and that your sets only have 4.

I called them today and the first tier representative didn't know how many fans it was supposed to have and she said she would have a technician call me back tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 /forum/post/15558985

PS: oh and when you look into the "empty" slot, do you even see the mounting hardware for a fan? what does that area look like?

Pretty much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur Darren /forum/post/15559237

I have a TH-42PZ85U and I have 4 fans. I puchased mine from Best Buy in Mid December.

Is the one that is missing in the same position as the photo above? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
You're going to have to confirm if that empty spot is supposed to have a fan or not. It's odd that the dent is right where that empty grille is and i'd be wondering if the TV was a returned unit or a refurbished unit that had suffered some sort of impact that also damaged the fan which was later removed before the unit was re-boxed and re-sold. It's also possible that it's just a cooling vent to allow hot air to escape from that corner of the TV and no fan is required in that spot.

Even if there is supposed to be a fan there, i'm not so sure i'd be willing to accept a brand new expensive TV with a dent in the rear sheetmetal. You should have immediately spotted this when you inspected the TV during the delivery and at least written it down on the bill of lading and pointed it out to the driver before letting him leave. I would have refused it on the spot myself.

If you're considering keeping the unit then you might want to go into the SM and check the hours used to see if it's brand new or not.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Not uncommon for them to make a running change to a current panel.Panasonic did this very thing in the 60/600 42" and 50" panels by reducing the number of fans in later units from 3 and 4 to 2 and 3 respectively.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
In a Panasonic Service Guide, they show 5 fans on the TH-42PZ85U.

·
Registered
891 Posts
so I pretended i have a Panny plasma and chatted with the Concierge service:
here's the transcript:

Ron: Thank you for contacting Panasonic Viera Concierge.

How may I help you today?

me: Hello; I am looking at a TH-42PZ85 plasma TV and I see only 4 fans on the back, while my friend who has the same model has 5 fans...wondering why? it seems a lot of people are getting this model with one fan missing.

Ron: does your friend have the 85UA or the 85U model?

me: 85U

Ron: cause the UA model was one that came out that is the same as the U model

Ron: but just uses different parts

Ron: and I think that is the one that comes with less fans

me: these are BOTH 85U

me: bought from the same store and everything

Ron: yes there are two units that exactly the same feature wise

Ron: th42pz85u and th42pz85ua

me: so why are these both 85u and one has a fan less?

Ron: and they are the same models

Ron: but one just uses different parts

me: i just said these are BOTH 85u

Ron: wish I could answer that question sir

me: so who WOULD be able to answer it?

Ron: I can refer you to a service center in your area

Ron: that might be able to answer that question

Ron: what is your zip code there sir?

Ron: C. E. I. 888-821-5152

Ron: 1637 TILLERY PLACE & CAPITOL B RALEIGH NC 27604

me: what's CEI?

Ron: PROCTOR TV REPAIR 252-442-2129

Ron: 1909 COKEY ROAD ROCKYMOUNT NC 27801

me: ok ... how would the tv repair center be able to help?

Ron: that is the 2 closest in your area sir

me: i mean they REPAIR tvs but don't make them

Ron: because they work on the units internals

Ron: and you are contacting technical support for operations

Ron: we dont handle the internal workings of the unit directly here

me: thats the 888 number you gave me?

Ron: we only support operations and connections

Ron: so only the service centers who actually order the parts and work on the internals would be able to give you an answer regarding your units

me: Thanks; have a good day.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Sounds like the guy you talked to at Panasonic Concierge was an idiot...they should at least have tech diagrams to reference for such questions. Anyway (to the OP)..no matter how many fans it is supposed to have, don't accept delivery of a tv with a dent in it unless the seller informed you of that beforehand.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yeah I got annoyed with him, too. No point in talking to him, so I just let it go.

If I get a panny with 4 fans, i will call that tech service number and see what they have to say, just to satisfy my curiosity...

oh hey, one of you guys can do it
you guys actually own those pannies.

BTW: are the fans constantly on, non-stop ?

or do they turn on and off periodically ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 /forum/post/15564656

so I pretended i have a Panny plasma and chatted with the Concierge service:
here's the transcript:

Yea... they couldn't tell me anything either. They were supposed to call me back today and leave a message with the answer but I received no call.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just purchased a 50PZ850U, and it doesn't have a fan in every spot either (missing one). I'm not worried about it - this thing runs very cool, and the fans are quiet.

It would be very unusual for a manufacturer to make the same "mistake" on different models and still pass QC inspection; I'm chalking it up to small changes during a production run until I discover otherwise.

The dent in your set...that I would be concerned with.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Maybe they are using better fans or with higher RPM, so they only need 4 instead of 5. The 46PZ85U at Circuit City and 42PZ85U at BestBuy I saw last week only had 4 fans on the back of each one.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I just got a 42pz85u a week ago(at 60 hours) and only 4 fans. I have a 50pz80u arriving Monday. I'll check it but I'll bet it is the same. This seems the norm so I'm definitely not worried. I've felt up the 42 on a few occasions and it never felt hot

·
Registered
267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissajous /forum/post/15559440

Is the one that is missing in the same position as the photo above? Thanks...

2nd to the right. Im not concerned. If anything happens I have the Best Buy warranty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts