AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that several posters have been referring to the Panasonic TH-42WD6UY 42" EDTV plasma. Sounds pretty enticing, considering that it can be had online for < $3000. My question is, is this an old, discontinued model? Many posters have referred to it as being "new", but there's absolutely no mention of it on Panasonic's web site, while the site does show the new silver models with the integrated speakers. So, what's up with this model and why are online retailers discounting it so heavily (MSRP $3999) if it's a current model?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The TH-42WD6UY is a commercial model. Look under the 'business & professional' section of Panasonic's website.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It's Panny's commercial version. It is the 6th generation Plasma display for Panny and was just released this summer so it is the newest of their commercial 42" Plasmas.

The discounting is due to the all powerful forces of competition. Folks like Dell significantly reduced their prices which led to everyone else follow suit.

Bomber

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! I only see the 5UY on the business section of the Panasonic web site and very little information about it. What does one typically give up when going for a commercial display over a consumer one? Believe it or not, my wife prefers the black casing, so that's not a drawback for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brucer, sorry, read your reply quickly and didn't notice the link you provided. Thanks, found the info on the 6UY.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The commercial has less "features" than the consumer. The consumer model comes with a stand, speakers and a built in tuner. For some, those are meaningless features. Most people hang their plasma on the wall, use a 5.1 sound system and a HD receiver.

Harlan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.