AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive sifted through the few threads that discuss this Plasma, but didnt really get an answer, so I figured I would post up. I appreciate your clicking in and hope you can shed some light.

I recently upgraded from a 42" Panasonic to the 50" TH-50PE8U (Best Buy). Sitting side by side with the more expensive Panny 50" as well as the Samsung (the 720p and 1080p). I had done my research and decided that I didnt necessarily need a 1080 set, but definately wanted a 50".

I knew this set didnt have all the bells and whistles of the PX80U, but I figured otherwise it was essentially the same (picture quality wise)

After reading the threads here Im a little worried and wondering if I should be trying to return it and going with the TH-50PX80U. I know it is one HDMI short of the PX80U, maybe 738p resolution instead of 720, and a 10ooo:1 contrast ratio instead of the 15. Are these things I should be concerned with?

It looks good, functions well, etc. but Im wondering if there may be other reasons I should consider dropping this black friday special for the more known counterpart. Should I go through all the hassle of boxing it back up and returning it and ordering the PX80U, or is this set fundamentally the same?

I would really appreciate any insight to settle my mind.

-Irish

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention that Im considering the TH-46PZ85U via amazon.

Im thinking pretty seriously about returning my 50" to Best Buy (and from what I understand since Im within the 30 day return policy and I have all the original box etc. I should be able to without problem) and ordering from Amazon.

Again, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
why would you want to retunr it? are you happy with the pq ? if so then keep it.. but if something doesn't feel right with the set then by all means return it....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman62 /forum/post/15578882

why would you want to retunr it? are you happy with the pq ? if so then keep it.. but if something doesn't feel right with the set then by all means return it....

It doesnt feel right after having the read the reviews (or lack thereof) and knowing that I could have gotten a more well-known and received set. Ive been going back and forth between two trains of thought...

"You like the way it looks, be satisfied."

and...

"You know theres something better out there. You get what you pay for, spend the extra and get the nicer more accepted Tv."

Know what I mean? Hence why Im looking for ya'lls wisdom

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pilot /forum/post/15576749

I had done my research and decided that I didnt necessarily need a 1080 set, but definately wanted a 50".

I knew this set didnt have all the bells and whistles of the PX80U, but I figured otherwise it was essentially the same (picture quality wise)

After reading the threads here Im a little worried and wondering if I should be trying to return it and going with the TH-50PX80U. I know it is one HDMI short of the PX80U, maybe 738p resolution instead of 720, and a 10ooo:1 contrast ratio instead of the 15. Are these things I should be concerned with?

It looks good, functions well, etc. but Im wondering if there may be other reasons I should consider dropping this black friday special for the more known counterpart. Should I go through all the hassle of boxing it back up and returning it and ordering the PX80U, or is this set fundamentally the same?

I don't know why the specs you listed are different but both TVs are internally the same; same plasma panel, same video boards, same tuners, etc. And both model are actually 768p - they only call them 720p for marketing purposes. Both have the exact same contrast ratio and other specs.

Aside from one less HDMI input, what other "bells and whistles" are missing from your PE8U? You make it sound like there are a lot of things that your PE8U does not have compared to the PX80U. You got a great set at a fantastic price, and there is really no reason i can see for returning it for a PX80U.

Now if you're feeling like you should upgrade, upgrade to a 1080p PZ80U or PZ85U but if you can't see SDE from your viewing distance and are happy with the picture and the price, keep it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful post Randy. The differences I listed are simply things I found after some research on this site...Im not entirely sure of the validity of all of it. I dont feel the need to purchase a different set to get another HDMI, etc. But If Im missing out on a better picture (relative of course...theres always something "better") by not spending the extra $100...Id gladly spend the money.

I wasnt completely sure the sets were that close in nature...only speculating and hoping someone could offer more insight. Your post is a huge push in the right direction. You dont think there would be a benefit to going to the more well know model vs the "Best Buy Black Friday Model" as Ive seen it referred to 'round these parts?

Again, many thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
from what randy has said i would just keep the set.....

i got one from costco back in nov. it was the 42" panny 720p for the my bedroom for 699.00 i love it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really appreciate the responses guys. Ill add another question as long as Ive got your attention. I didnt grab the Best Buy performance plan but I think I can still go back and get it. Whats the general consensus on the performance plan for TVs. I normally wouldnt get it...but on such a large item....

·
Registered
193 Posts
are you talking about a warranty? i would look into a mack warranty from one of the board guys like cleveland plasma or one of the others....

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pilot /forum/post/15579104

I really appreciate the responses guys. Ill add another question as long as Ive got your attention. I didnt grab the Best Buy performance plan but I think I can still go back and get it. Whats the general consensus on the performance plan for TVs. I normally wouldnt get it...but on such a large item....

How much is that BB Performance Plan? And is it just an extended warranty? If so then you're probably better off getting a MACK extended warranty from one of the forum sponsors instead (should be about $130-$150 or so for your TV).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman62 /forum/post/15579160

are you talking about a warranty? i would look into a mack warranty from one of the board guys like cleveland plasma or one of the others....

Thats correct. Im looking currently at the CPS site. Is there someone on the board that you could direct me to that I can get the warranty through (or a thread that would help?) Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
look further down on this forum you will see talk about mack camera thats it.. you have to buy it from one of there dealers....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Randy, How do we know the PX80 & PE80 are the same? because the PE model seems to have the same specs. as last year's 50" PX75 but it has the same bezel as this year's PX80.

Could Panny have had enough panels & etc left over from last year to have made a "Warehouse" "Black Friday" unit or are they just making up the lower specs., CR 10,000:1, so other stores can point out that difference between the PX80 & the PE80?

Irish Pilot, As above though if your happy with the set I would keep it unless you want to move up to a 1080p model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15579511

Randy, How do we know the PX80 & PE80 are the same...

Could Panny have had enough panels & etc left over from last year to have made a "Warehouse" "Black Friday" unit or are they just making up the lower specs...

This is exactly my concern. Id gladly keep it, but probably would prefer not to keep it solely based on the "well, it looks good..." What could I potentially be missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15579511

Irish Pilot, As above though if your happy with the set I would keep it unless you want to move up to a 1080p model.

Not to take the thread in a different direction, but its my understanding that I wouldnt really be able to notice a difference between 720 and 1080p. FWIW the tv is located about 10 feet from the seating. Ill do some more forum research on this topic.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pilot /forum/post/15579570

Not to take the thread in a different direction, but its my understanding that I wouldnt really be able to notice a difference between 720 and 1080p. FWIW the tv is located about 10 feet from the seating. Ill do some more forum research on this topic.

I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at 50" and 10', but how much of a difference that is to you will determine how much extra you should pay. You might want to look into the 46pz80u 1080p set if you want to keep it around a grand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah Im thinking drop down to the 46" 1080p. My sears has it for $1200 with free home delivery (monday morning).

Im still a little undecided, but Im paranoid about having the "knockoff" version of the Panny verses a standard one. Im sure thats being really silly and fairly picky...but it just seems to spook me some. I think I would find far better piece of mind going with the known model.

Who knows. Like I said...still undecided.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pilot /forum/post/15581664

Yeah Im thinking drop down to the 46" 1080p. My sears has it for $1200 with free home delivery (monday morning).

Im still a little undecided, but Im paranoid about having the "knockoff" version of the Panny verses a standard one. Im sure thats being really silly and fairly picky...but it just seems to spook me some. I think I would find far better piece of mind going with the known model.

Who knows. Like I said...still undecided.

There's no quality difference and it's not a "knockoff" version.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts