AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

Getting a shut down and 6 red blink error on my Panasonic TH-50PHD6. I can power off, then back on then get solid green light but no picture. I searched here and on Google, but not finding much help, except that it might be fan related. Trying to determine if there's anything I can do. Any suggestions or related links will be appreciated. Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Powered it off last night and let it rest. Working fine today when we last powered it up. From the little bit I was able to learn about the 6 blink error for this display, it's fan related. I'm guessing it may be a dirty fan sensor, or something like that.

Can't seem to find a service manual for free. Anyone have one? This display is nearly 9 years old, but still renders really good picture quality.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Rob

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, my....not much interest in issues with these older displays!

UPDATE & POSSIBLE RESOLUTION:

The next day after the above post, we again had a shut down and the 6 blink error. So, the next day I vacuumed all the accessible vents on the back with a pretty powerful vacuum. I also covered a heat vent that was directing warm air up behind the display. Haven't had any problems since!

·
Registered
988 Posts
6 blink has nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with the SC, SD or SU boards, possibly P board if VSUS is dropping out. Dust build up on boards could be an issue, but it would be one of the last places I would look.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks tom669-

Unfortunately the problem is back as of tonight. Anyone know a good repair shop in Raleigh, NC?

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you have no luck finding a shop, or can't afford to, there is a good chance you can fix this yourself for under $100.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669  /t/1466529/panasonic-th-50phd6-6-blink-error#post_23186579

If you have no luck finding a shop, or can't afford to, there is a good chance you can fix this yourself for under $100.
Really- I wouldn't have any idea where to start!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I do, I've repaired a few Panasonics, though no where near as many as Samsung. First step is to take the back cover off and take pictures. You will need a digital multimeter, which can be purchased for less than $10.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669  /t/1466529/panasonic-th-50phd6-6-blink-error#post_23180918

6 blink has nothing to do with the fans and everything to do with the SC, SD or SU boards, possibly P board if VSUS is dropping out. Dust build up on boards could be an issue, but it would be one of the last places I would look.
Well, it appears that you are wrong. I had a technician look at it on Thursday. He determined that all the boards were OK. He noted that the 2 fans, which were running, appeared somewhat stiff. He removed and cleaned both fans. We put her back together and ran her for 6 straight hours with no shut down (previously it would power off after 60 - 90 minutes), and haven't had any problem since then.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm quite surprised. There is a chance the thermal sensor on the P board was tripping, though. Normally Panasonic has 13 blink for fan error.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669  /t/1466529/panasonic-th-50phd6-6-blink-error/0_100#post_23180918

Although I could not find an exact technical guide to the OP's 6th generation set, there exists a 5th generation guide and a 7th generation guide that use 6-blinks as a FAN SOS.

From page 40 in the 5th generation guide:
Quote:
Power LED Flashing timing chart

Six - Fan circuit / Fan stop

Check pin 3 of P10 to P13 connectors.

From page 86 and 93 in the 7th generation guide:
Quote:
Power LED blinking timing chart

6 Fan SOS -

Fan SOS Detect

The two ventilation fans are monitored to be sure that they are operating properly. If one of the fans opens or increases resistance, the resulting current change is applied to pin 89 of the Microprocessor IC9003.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Thank you for pointing this out. Panasonic clearly changed the error codes. I had always assumed 6 was SC/SU/SD. But then again the earliest I have done is 11th gen, so quite a bit newer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solution to fan error?

Thank you for pointing this out. Panasonic clearly changed the error codes. I had always assumed 6 was SC/SU/SD. But then again the earliest I have done is 11th gen, so quite a bit newer.
I have this 6-blink fan error with my Panasonic TH-50PHD, built in 2003. I replaced the power supply board, P1, that did not solve the issue. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TH-42PD50U 6-Blink fault, my issue found

I realize this is an old thread, but I've been working on this issue for a few days, searching the web, and finally found my issue... My set is a 2005 model and replacement parts are??? Most ideas point to the SC board failure. My set would heat up for about 10-15 minutes then fault out. Unplugging would reset, but the hotter the set got, the quicker it would shut down. Heat sink temps on the SC board were at 105f and could hear a faint arc sound. Reset and lowered lighting so I could see the board and found a faint arc on the base of Q624... a cold solder joint! Repaired solder joint (and a few others close by that looked marginal) and voila! Problem solved, transistors temps now running close to 140f and no more faults!

Thanks to the replies/ideas presented on this thread, great ideas all.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I've been working on this issue for a few days, searching the web, and finally found my issue... My set is a 2005 model and replacement parts are??? Most ideas point to the SC board failure. My set would heat up for about 10-15 minutes then fault out. Unplugging would reset, but the hotter the set got, the quicker it would shut down. Heat sink temps on the SC board were at 105f and could hear a faint arc sound. Reset and lowered lighting so I could see the board and found a faint arc on the base of Q624... a cold solder joint! Repaired solder joint (and a few others close by that looked marginal) and voila! Problem solved, transistors temps now running close to 140f and no more faults!

Thanks to the replies/ideas presented on this thread, great ideas all.

:)

My god, I relize this is an old thread, but my plasma tv was down for a weeks, and i was looking at this thread for a few days, and guess what.. You just happen to reply this the same time i am viewing it.

My TV th-p46g10h just happen to have this 6 blink, and it never turn on with black screen. I was thinking it is the FAN dirty error, so i try to vacuum the fan with all the back hole closed. but it did not seem to work. (I recall about 5 yrs or 6 yrs ago when the TV was still under warranted, I had similar issue and the technician fixed it with fan cleaning.. I forgot how many LEd blink that was back in the days.)

May be i will try to use a Blower with a tube and try to clean the fan that way and see.

(i am not sure if the 6 blink on my model is the SC board issue.. or the fan issue, as i found mixed result while google search for 6 blink.

But at least now, seeing a post by DMIfoto keep my hopes up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts