AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been back and forth for a year on technologies, size etc. I liked most everything about this panny, but just today discovered that Plasmas have difficulties at high altititudes. I don't know how this snippet escaped me all this time but nevertheless...

I live in Colorado Springs at 6500 feet. What am I potentially facing by buying this display? The only plasmas I see that list an operating altititude are NECs, and they are rated at around 9000 ft.

I'd really hate to start again looking for something else but if it's just a bad idea I'm glad I found this out before getting it.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
There have been several threads about this. You might do a search and check it out. The NEC and Sony are capable of this altitude as well as the LCD's. As far as the Panasonic is concerned I don't know if the newer ones have been changed to perform at that altitude. In the past the main complaint seemed to be the buzzing associated with higher altitudes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try searching. Maybe you could help me with some better search parameters because I didn't really come up with anything related to what I want to know.

I searched on the web and read the plasma faq but things change so quickly I have no idea if the information is current. At first I was hesitant to even buy a plasma for fear of image retention and I then discovered this is not as big a problem as the rumors let on. Maybe this is the case with the altitude but I just don't know.

I can live with some buzzing as there will certainly be loud audio accompanied with my viewing almost always. I tried listening to the plasmas in b&m stores to get a feel for what I may be in for. While it is difficult to isolate the sound in these environments, I couldn't perceive any audible buzzing near any of the plasmas.

I just don't want it to break in a short amount of time or suffer a dramatic loss of quality after a few years.

Anyone operate a panasonic plasma near 6K feet? What have you noticed?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Wish I could help you more. I have a summer home at 7000' and have a

42"NEC and a 37" Sharp LCD in that home. Before I got the NEC I talked to Circuit City in Albuquerque (5000') and at that time, a year and a half ago, they did not recommend Panasonics about five thousand feet due to buzzing, however there have been several threads in the last year regarding altitude, and as I remember there have been some with Panasonic sets above that altitude that said their sets were O.K.. I don't think that it would shorten the life of the set appreciably. AVS Moderator Mark Rubin made a post about the buzzing at altitudes( I think it was Mark) a while back. I'll bet he could shed some light on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.