I'm in the market for a 50" Plasma. I'm looking

at both of the above seriously because of this

forum and after viewing them myself.

Here are some things I'm mulling over:

The p50 exists and the Panny doesnt but it will

exist shortly, allegedly.

Both have DVI-HDCP, but the p50 has one input,

the Panny (if its like the 42") can have 2 DVI

inputs when flush with optional slot-fillers.

This could be important except between the,

DVI DVD player, DVI- HD Tuner, DVI GamePC,

etc. I'll probably need a Gefen DVI switcher anyway.

Buying a Panny for a good price is trivial, buying

a p50 for a good price is non-trivial. I've already

made 10 calls and I'm not reaching that magical

$8100 - $8200 price point. I dont want to drive to

Oregon. PlasmaDepotCityExtreme.com will sell

the new Panny for great prices immediately.

The p50 has a "good" internal scaler, but for the

price difference, I might be able to buy a "better"

external scaler for the Panny.

What am I leaving out? What else should I consider?

Thank you,

Frank

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm down to the same 2 panels.

But no one I know of has actually viewed the Panny themselves. So it does not appear possible to compare the 2 yet.

Consensus here would seem to be that the P50 has a better picture than the old Panny 50" but the Panny is no slouch (generally considered better than the Pioneer). I have seen both panels, but not at the same time so all I can say is both were very good and better than anything I could compare them against at the time (Pioneer Elite in both cases #2). The biggest knock on the old unit was/is lack of DVI/HDCP support which as you pointed out will be rectified in new unit. Any new "quirks" on the new models is unknown yet.

I haven't spent any time investigating this next statement (danger! in over my head!), but my impression is that the AVM used by Fujitsu is pretty good and to get an outboard scaler to combine with the Panny's could easily push you over the price of the Fujitsu.

So, if the new unit maintains equal PQ to the old I'd guess you will be able to decide how much you're willing to pay for any difference you perceive in the Fujitsu. The other notable difference is the extra 2 yr. warranty on the electronics with the Fujitsu.

I'm hoping the Pannys are out before my basement is done so I don't have to wait any longer to pull the trigger.

John

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
If the Fujitsu is $10K at retail and the Panasonic is $8500 at retail and $6500 online (in commercial guise), then the challenge becomes quite intriguing.

I love the Fujitsu, but the new consumer Panasonic has lovely cosmetics as well as HDMI.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Milk Run

Both have DVI-HDCP, but the p50 has one input,

the Panny (if its like the 42") can have 2 DVI

inputs when flush with optional slot-fillers.
Frank,

I'm not 100% sure, but if the 50" consumer Panny will be like the 42" consumer model, the inputs are fixed and it won't have the slots that the commercial version has... the 42" consumer only has the single fixed DVI input, might want to double-check to verify the connection options for the TH-50PX20U... don't know if this will ultimately make a difference in your decision though...

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
I personally think and I believe that the "New Commercial 50" Panasonic" is the one to choose. It offers the most versatility, i.e. connections, user adjustments, better Black and White Levels, optional speakers, excellent PQ, favorable PQ with SD signals, and provides a more "Natural Picture".

Good luck in your decision--Life is Good!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Click on "Dave & Cheri's Home Theater" link below. The Commercial 42 & 50 look about the same as they have for the past few years.

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Milk Run,

Check your private mail...

G-3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Milk Run,

Check your private mail...

G-3

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Seems like there are a bunch of us in the same boat. The only thing different for me is that I'm down to the commercial panny (50phd6uy) and the p50.

Most people agree that the p50 is the "gold" standard by which other 50s are measured. The 6uy won't be out for another few weeks or so, so it's hard to know what it will look like. But as others have said, the pq should be at least as good as the 5uy and now it has the expandability via the slots. As for the warranty comparison regarding the commercial panny vs. p50, I think you can get an extended one for the panny for a few hundred dollars to make them pretty much the same. The only difference is in the first year where it is carry-in (the 2-4 years afterwards are in-home) At least the one I heard about is like this...

Pricewise, there is about a $2K difference between them (from my sources, anyway). That's a good chunk, but then again I'm looking at this as a longer term investment so that difference is not a major factor.

It's coming down to timing for me. If the 6uy really does become available by the first week of October, I think I'll pull the trigger on the panny, probably because I'm a sucker and like to buy the newest models of any technology. ;)

However, if the release date gets pushed (or if reviews come back negative), I'll grab the p50.

In conclusion, I think whichever of these two panels you get you're likely be pretty happy. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love this forum. So much competence and

pleasantness is truly a gift. I hope one day to

contribute as much as I receive.

I meant the commercial Panny - 50phd6uy.

I have considered the Pioneer, nice PQ, but the DVI

seems to be a little too much of an afterthought

compared to the Panny and p50. Please dont take

offense. I'm sure there are people with the right

cards getting beautiful pictures. This is a vague

fear not a well-grounded one.

I mispoke - obviously I haven't seen the new

Panny's PQ. I have seen the Fujitsu and I was in

love. Wow! How do they do that with the same

glass? is it all in the scaler? Sorry thats probably

a separate thread.

The unanswerable question (for now) is

whether Panasonic will figure out how to get

Fujitsu PQ out of their own glass? If they haven't

figured it out, then is the difference in PQ worth

roughly $2k + plus CA sales tax + hassle to me?

What a happy problem.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Great first post Milk Run. Shows you have done your homework because you pretty much summarized the main issues to consider when comparing the 50" fujitsu and Panny. JohhnyKay followed up with a good post also.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, once the panny gets DVI/HDCP then it will make recommending the P50 (with its higher price) more difficult because, IMO, these two are very close in PQ and the lack of DVI/HDCP on the panny was a serious limitation that has now been resolved.

Of course the eALIS 55" from Fujitsu may move the goal posts again - we shall see.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think it was Rogo who stated a couple of times that the 50" commercial Panasonic has improved cosmetically, but from that picture it looks pretty much the same. I don't expect a big change like the new glass bevel of the new Pioneers, but maybe someone can elaborate what the changes actually are. I like the silver of the P50, but the style of the room it will go in has a few B&W pictures in black frames that would match a blacked framed Panny anyway.

·
Registered
MHT200, B&W N802, Panasonic 65
501 Posts
I am not qualified to speak for Rogo, but I am pretty sure he was refering to the consumer models of the new Panny 50, with their wide, glossy black bezel.

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Right, Dan, I was referring to the consumer models -- which have improved cosmetically.

Milk Run, fwiw, the new "basic" interface card from Pioneer appears to have HDMI and comes with the Elite models that have no external box. I am pretty sure a card for the 504 Pioneer -- which I confess is probably months away -- is going to a little more than an afterthought.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.