AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at both the Panasonic TH-50PX20U and the Sony KE-50XBR900. The price I've seen for the Sony is $12,999 and the Panasonic is anywhere from $4000 - $5000 less.

Any input on the major differences between the 2 models?

I like the floating glass of the Sony, but $4000 is a lot to pay for that and the picture quality doesn't seem to be too different.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
as i understand it, the sony xbr plasma's use nec glass, which when combined with the outboard media box, produces a picture inferior to that of the panasonic. considering that the panny th-50px20u is new for this year, but that the sony has been out for a while now, would lead me to believe that the panasonic is a much better performer.

i've seen the sony xbr (but not the new 50" panny), and in my honest opinion, the sony xbr looks best when it's turned off. whether that's worth your $4k or not is up to you, but obviously, i'd choose the panny in a heartbeat.

- james

·
Registered
500 Posts
This is one of the rare times that you get to have your cake and eat it too!

Between those two, most everyone will tell you the Panny has a better picture, so go for it and save your money. There are no major advantages to the Sony besides the glass frame.

Pioneer also has a nice 50 coming out this fall with improved looks, the 5040HDE. See the thread called CEDIA annoucements - Pioneer.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I agree with JimKim and Eternity here and have posted similarly before here . Make sure you check out both links that I provided in the above post.

More recent posts have simply said that the price premium is not worth it but if they were the same price then the Sony would be worth considering. For me the the Sony's PQ performance vs the panasonic is still not good enough. The Sony would have to be one or two grand cheaper for me to shell out for it.

Here is a review of the xbr900 by a happy owner. He mention that the blacks are still not the best but says that this is not as big a deal as he expected.

If I was going to pay that kind of money I would want the best and there are better plasmas out there. However, as I said in my first linked post, aesthetics can play a huge role and, if the PQ is good enough for you, then the Sony may be worth considering. I notice the newest announced Pioneers and panasonics are aping the frame Sony style somewhat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.