AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Could you please tell me is it possible to calibrate Panasonic TH-50PZ800U (gray balance, gamma, colors etc) and if yes how I can do it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Yes it should be ... but you need calibrations discs and testing instrumentation and lots of time to learn how to do it. Should look for that Dummies guide to calibration thread that someone can surely post.

regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Michael.

I guess I can buy or download a calibration disc and I have Eye One sensor and some knowledge about calibrations (at least for computer monitors for photography) and colors.

Main question is how I can do it for that particular plasma TV? Officially there is no such possibility but I hope it should be some way to get to this settings.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
According to cnet if you use THX mode, then there are no gray scale controls in the user menu. If you do not use THX mode, then there are. I would imagine then, that for THX mode, the gray controls are in the service menu instead of the user menu.

CNET claims that this set is very close to the 709 spec in THX mode. I'd be interested to see if this is true myself as I have not calibrated one of these yet. In theory, you should only have to adjust the basic controls when in this mode since the color and grayscale are supposed to be accurate.

Use your sensor and HCFR and take readings and see if that's the case. I would advise, though, against going into the service menu unless you are 100% sure you know what you're doing as alot of TVs can be completely hosed if you change the wrong setting or go into the wrong menu in the service menu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have confirmation there is a service menu for this TV and it is definitely possible to calibrate it. There is only one question how to get to this service menu and some basic description of it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=622573

It has a good list of SM codes and one just might work for ya. Also, if you browse the keohi site listed there, you'll see some examples of some older TVs and what their different menu options do. This won't give you exactly what you need, but is a good place to start.

Either way make sure you write down any and all SM settings before making any changes.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The access part is in front of your nose ... see the sticky threads ... that's why they are there.

regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was getting some black crush using DVE and I fixed it today. Turned out to be my PS3 was not set to enable super white. Figured I would let everyone know.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
They can't, in THX mode they have no accessible grayscale controls and the other modes have messed up gamma. If Panasonic wouldn't have scewed up color decoding on the 85U it would actually be a better TV than the 800U since you can calibrate the grayscale in the cinema mode.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. /forum/post/14498295

They can't, in THX mode they have no accessible grayscale controls and the other modes have messed up gamma.

I'm not sure what you mean by accessible grayscale controls but you can adjust the grayscale via the service menu for all picture modes. The THX setting is called Cinema in the service menu.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts