AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Panasonic 58" 800U Plasma and I love it. Except for one thing.

When playing a HD movie via Verizon Fios I get a "screen" pattern during fast action, close up shots. It's very fine and seems to be undetectable to my family but I can see it and it bugs me.

I've heard that it could be cable compression. 3:2 pulldown or film deinterlocking during 60hz.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Is it common in other plasmas?

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. What is macro blocking? Is it particular to just this set or is it common on all Plasmas? Wondering in case I return it and end up with the same problem on a new set.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Well if it is macroblocking (I'm not sure that it is, from your description) it doesn't have anything to do with the TV and all TVs, plasma or not, will show it. It's a flaw in the source. Since Fios is by far the best provider when it comes to macroblocking, you're pretty much out of luck.

However I think that you should describe this in more detail. Do you see it more on white or light colored text against a black background (movie credits, for example)?

Or does it look like the image is turning into a mosaic?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see it during text runs, credits.

It is basically a pattern in the middle of an image that looks like fine horizontal lines overlaid by fine vertical lines. (Kind of a very tight screen-door). They aren't pixels per se (not like blocks of pixels when the picture is interrupted.)

It seems to happen when i am watching HD films on HBo or Showtime, etc. A good example is Transformers. During scenes when there is a close up of them transforming at a rapid rate and it pans from one side to another, you can see this pattern. I also saw it during the final fight scene in Gladiator. My family doesn't seem to really see it.

That's about the best way i can think of to describe it. I don't seem to see it with sports .

Thanks for your help on this.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I think it's probably macroblocking. Nothing you can do about it, I'm afraid, other than watch nothing but Blu Rays. Returning the TV won't help, you'll see it on all TVs.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
eurysj, if you want to do a test, check any movie you have against what's on HBO/Sho, etc. Put Transformers into your dvd player, check the scene, and see if the issue pops up.

I agree with the other posters though, this is most likely your FiOS feed.

Just wait until you watch a movie or live concert via your HD feed that has strobe lights, you'll probably see some fairly extreme macroblocking.

-JR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody for your feedback. This helps a lot.

For some reason I'm not sure this is macroblocking though. The pictures i've seen of macroblocking look like big blocks pixelization. (sp)

This isn't really that. It's much more subtle. Not as easy to see. I think it may have something to do with 24f film deinterlacing with 60hz in the 800U series. That's why i don't see it in sports??

I'm not that tech savvy, so not sure.

Anybody know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurysj /forum/post/15496616

Thanks everybody for your feedback. This helps a lot.

For some reason I'm not sure this is macroblocking though. The pictures i've seen of macroblocking look like big blocks pixelization. (sp)

This isn't really that. It's much more subtle. Not as easy to see. I think it may have something to do with 24f film deinterlacing with 60hz in the 800U series. That's why i don't see it in sports??

I'm not that tech savvy, so not sure.

Anybody know?

Thanks.

Macroblocking can be relatively subtle, it depends. I will say that I've seen Transformers on HBO and it looked terrible, definitely a lot of macroblocking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply. Good to know. I'm just trying to make sure it's not the set. I think I'll rent the movie and compare it to the cable version like JuiceRocket suggested.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts