AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new 50" 800u which was delivered yesterday. I was under the impression that the front of the TV was a single pane of glass with no frame around the edge at all. This is not the case with the set I've got.

I plan on posting some photos when I get home. In the meantime, would some of you 800U owners mind posting up some pictures of your sets from a few different angles? I haven't made it out to stores yet to take a look at the 50" panny's on display there.

------------------------------------------------

I just realized I placed the wrong model number in the thread title. My stupid mistake. I would like pictures of the 50", as that is the set I have. Model TH-50PZ800U.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
The 42", 46", 50" should be a single pane of glass. This is interesting. Maybe production was tight and had to send quite of few without single pane of glass to a number of distributors that retailers bought.

The 58" does not have the single pane of glass.

Chris

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't have any pics of my set atm, but I can take some although my digicam is pretty crappy. The 58PZ800U that I have has a 3" border on the left & right side and 2 1/3" border on the top, and 2 2/3" border on the bottom, all in black.

edited to add and it is a seperate bit of glass as the frame, but i had to touch it to make sure. hahaha.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You are talking about the 1/4 inch black metal frame that goes around the edge? Yeah, that's the way it is. I guess what makes it unique is that most every other plasma has that 3" frame that sticks out about 3/4 inch from the panel glass.

·
Premium Member
18,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/15426267

All Pansonics have 2 pains of glass. There is a mis-conception about this.

What a pain

·
Vendor
35,279 Posts

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/15426267

All Pansonics have 2 panes of glass. There is a mis-conception about this.

You are correct! There is actually two panes of glass and still gives off a double image if you sit off-axis roughly 135 degrees. However, it does have a single pane of glass from the front bezel. I know its a big misconception. You are correct.

Chris

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
CNET

DESIGN

Editors' Note, October 13, 2008

The review orignally indicated that the 58-inch TH-58PZ800U shares the same

"Single Pane Of Glass" design found on the 50 inch TH-50PZ800U. That is incorrect, it has a traditional bezel raised about 1/4 inch from the screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.