AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for 50+ plasma display I did my research in terms of pricing and features and came down to either 60" Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD or 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ850U. Cost is not an issue ONLY if Pioneer really offers roughly two grand more worth of PQ difference over Panasonic.

From my research I can say that...

Panasonic - biggest issue is - 24P flickering (not sure if this is still an issue for 58" panels) and blacks are not as deep as Pioneer.

Pioneer - Pioneer panels produce lot of buzzing/humming from the panel as well as from power/circuitry.

I am looking for a quality High-def TV with some tweakability. We have south asian programming (about 12 channels) in Standard Def from Cablevision and DirecTV and my wife watches them for few hours everyday so looking for a TV with decent SDTV processing as well. Currently I have 40" Sony XBR2 LCD (26" Sharp LCD in the bedroom) so I am not sure how Plasma would fit my family's viewing habits (bright picture with LCD pop) but I have been hearing that Pioneer and Panasonic Plasmas offer best quality HD picture over any generation LCD and I can't justify spending 6k+ on Sony XBR8 LED backlight LCD. I considered Pioneer non-Elite model PDP-6020FD but it doesn't offer any fine controls over color settings and as a part-time videographer I invite clients home and need color control. Therefore I chose Elite over non-elite and PZ850 over PZ800 with THX but not pro settings. I have looked at both sets at local Magnolia (though it was 50" PZ850 not 58" at Magnolia) however they were on two different walls so couldn't compare them side by side and I simply do not want to judge a TV based on BestBuy/Magnolia settings and lighting condition. Your honest and expert opinion is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
if your using it for business and want the very best panel get the Pioneer Pro151 or Elite Signature Pro141. Then get it calibrated by an ISF tech that uses Turbe's ControlCal ISFccc software. You will have a plasma display with the best blacks, contrast, 6500K greyscale and accurate colors. Plus it's 7% bigger then the th58pz850 and you can also use it as a tax deduction. the sd picture quality is more dependent on the source. with a good source sd can look really good on the pioneer. but if it's a poor sd source even the excellent Pioneer processing can't make up for that.

panasonic and samsung both make good 58" panels if you need to save the money.

·
Banned
46 Posts
sounds like you're concerned about going to a plasma from an LCD, where LCD offers bright vivid picture. plasmas may not be as bright but will offer more accurate colors, that is actually true for either plsma models you've listed. if 24p flicker is the only thing bothers you then you should go with panasonic because i considered panny before ordering my Elite 151 and 24p flicker issue is overrated plus 58" panny panels are not as bad as 50" panels in terms of flickers in 24p mode in 48hz. i have seen both at magnolia as well and they both looked great but i agree with you on not judging a TV based on BB/Magnolias settings and lighting conditions. i ordered pio 151 over panny because most of my viewing is movies and very little regular hi def tv and i wanted absolute best movie experience. i am sure some pio/panny experts can comment on this as it sounds like you are going to use your tv for Sdtv, hdtv and some video editing/demonstration it is not just movies. as far as buzz i cant comment because as i said i ordered my 151 and it is getting delivered by BB on tuesday-1/6.

·
Banned
21 Posts
apark5: I considered Panny PZ850U also but went with Pio Elite 111. I got my 111 last night and it is amazing, i don't hear buzz as long as i am at least 5-6 foot away from the panel. If you're looking for an all purpose TV then i would go with Panny 58 PZ850U but not sure about the 24p flicker issue, if money is not an object then go for elite.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. As I said cost is not an object but the difference in price between Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-151FD and Panasonic TH-58PZ850U is around $2000-$2100 and question I have: does Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD offers overall picture quality $2000 worth better? I understand that unless someone has played with both TVs it is hard to tell the difference by judging them in the store environment.

@amp512: are you sure that 24p flicker is only confined to 50" Panasonic panels?

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apark5 /forum/post/15448801

Thanks for everyone's input. As I said cost is not an object but the difference in price between Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-151FD and Panasonic TH-58PZ850U is around $2000-$2100 and question I have: does Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD offers overall picture quality $2000 worth better? I understand that unless someone has played with both TVs it is hard to tell the difference by judging them in the store environment.

@amp512: are you sure that 24p flicker is only confined to 50" Panasonic panels?

I recently jumped ship from LCD. I bought the Panny 850U. I am still in awe how good the picture is! It's incredible. For now, not sure if the price difference warrants the Pioneer unless you have the $$$. Remember: Pioneer is the best TV and Panny is a close second.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hope this is relevant to the topic. Last year the 8g's also generated a lot of threads about "Kuro buzz". My 5010 doesn't buzz, period. My panel is set up such that I can get behind it; I can put my ear up against the back of the panel and no buzzing. Zero, zip, nada. The plastic casing doesn't vibrate in the least. Maybe I got lucky.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/15449933

I recently jumped ship from LCD. I bought the Panny 850U. I am still in awe how good the picture is! It's incredible. For now, not sure if the price difference warrants the Pioneer unless you have the $$$. Remember: Pioneer is the best TV and Panny is a close second.

@buylongterm: Do you have 50" or 58" panel? Do you notice any flicker in 24p mode when you engage 48Hz while playing a bright scenes on a blu-ray movie or pure 1080p content? I am going to use my PS3 as my blu-ray if that matters... Since I am used to watch everything on LCD, I thought if I go plasma Pioneer would probably be the best choice but in the BB/Magnolia both Panasonic PZ850U and Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD looked almost same but as I said before I don't trust that at all and I know Pioneer does blu-ray with 24p wonderfully and flawlessly.

thanx

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apark5 /forum/post/15450137

@buylongterm: Do you have 50" or 58" panel? Do you notice any flicker in 24p mode when you engage 48Hz while playing a bright scenes on a blu-ray movie or pure 1080p content? I am going to use my PS3 as my blu-ray if that matters... Since I am used to watch everything on LCD, I thought if I go plasma Pioneer would probably be the best choice but in the BB/Magnolia both Panasonic PZ850U and Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD looked almost same but as I said before I don't trust that at all and I know Pioneer does blu-ray with 24p wonderfully and flawlessly.

thanx

Yes. I have the 850U 58". I haven't really seen it. I'm hoping a firmware update will correct that issue. I was thinking about the Kuro, but since I was so new to the Plasma scene, I didn't want to spend the money if in the end, I ended up going back to LCD. BTW, I LOVE PLASMA's!!!! Since I buy a TV every year, the clear choice for me was the Panny. I paid less than 2900.00 bucks so there was simply no way to justify the Kuro's price. But, Now that I love Plasma's, I will be buying the 10G Kuro next year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I recently installed both a 58" 850 and a 111FD. I would take the 151 over the 850 in a heartbeat. It will take some getting used to after swiching from an LCD though, you will likely find the picture "dimmer" but can still boost with some of the picture settings (bearing in mind the colours wiull be less accurate, just lkike an LCD). Once you acclimatize to accurate colour and jet blacks though, there is no going back ...

re: flicker if you are sensitive to it, then I would not plan to watch the Panny on 48Hz mode. I prefer my computer monitors at >72 Hz b/c I can see flicker up to that level. Even the standard 60 Hz on most HD feeds bugs me. The 111/151 with 1080p content on Advance mode is very pleasing. I considered one of teh Panny industrial monitors (e.g. the 58 or 65 PF11UK models) b/c they offer 100 Hz refresh rates but they are not great in the colour accuracy dept and the black levels are inferior so I went for the Pio instead.

Based on the "buzz" poll however, teh 151 will be a bit like a lottery. Make sure your vendor will take back the set if the buzz is annoying to you. I don't hear anything from my 111 unless I listen at the back of the set very carefully (so IMO there is no buzz on my set). It appears that some don't have any appreciable buzz and some have it at annoying levels with teh 60" panels having the problem more frequently.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@mycatsnameis:

i can get EPP pricing on Panasonic, with that in mind after tax, shipping, etc. Panasonic 58pz850u is $2510 cheaper than Pioneer 151fd (got best price from one of the forum sponsor on Pioneer). does PQ on Pioneer justify that extra cash?

thanx.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apark5 /forum/post/15465117

...i can get EPP pricing on Panasonic, with that in mind after tax, shipping, etc. Panasonic 58pz850u is $2510 cheaper than Pioneer 151fd (got best price from one of the forum sponsor on Pioneer). does PQ on Pioneer justify that extra cash?...

if you can get the panny th58pz850u for basically half the price of a Pro151 from the avs forum sponsors......do it. thats a great deal on a pretty good plasma.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/15466506

if you can get the panny th58pz850u for basically half the price of a Pro151 from the avs forum sponsors......do it. thats a great deal on a pretty good plasma.

as i mentioned on my first post money is not an object though i am getting Panasonic 58pz850u for almost half the price of Pioneer 151fd. i want to get Pioneer 151fd because i know it would provide the best possible PQ but with this kind of price difference i am trying to find reasons to justify its price tag. basically i dont know if Pioneer 151fd offers PQ that is worth spending $2500 more over Panasonic 58pz850u's cost.

thanks.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
it's your money your choice. if you want the very best and can afford it get the Pro151 or Pro141 and get it calibrated by an isf tech that uses ControlCal by Turbe.

Most people would take the panny 58 and the $2500 savings. once you get the panny you, your wife, family, friends, clients etc etc will enjoy it.

·
Banned
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apark5 /forum/post/15466827

as i mentioned on my first post money is not an object though i am getting Panasonic 58pz850u for almost half the price of Pioneer 151fd. i want to get Pioneer 151fd because i know it would provide the best possible PQ but with this kind of price difference i am trying to find reasons to justify its price tag. basically i dont know if Pioneer 151fd offers PQ that is worth spending $2500 more over Panasonic 58pz850u's cost.

thanks.

dude, i got my pio 111fd last friday, i am still breaking in but i watched some hd content, it looks amazing, but i dont know about your case because the $2500 is lot of money and unless you have pio 151fd and panny 58pz850u side by side i dont know if the quality is going to be that big of a difference. dont get me wrong 9g pio elite is the best plasma money can buy but i am assuming panny shouldn't be that behind (not 2500 dollars behind) i m not videophile by any means but i am sure experts can tell you more here.

·
Banned
46 Posts
@apark5

Wish I had option for EPP pricing, I might have seriously considered Panny. As other posters pointed out, the price you're getting on Panny is very tempting.

I will be able to shed some more light on this when I receive delivery of my 151 tomorrow, but believe me unless you are a serious videophile or have both Pioneer 151FD and Panasonic 58PZ850U side by side, i don't think you would notice any/big difference in PQ in any mode. Pros any comment?

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
It all depends on budget and if you can tell the difference. I know its hard at some stores but to many AVSers they can tell the difference between the two for sure. So the least people should do is go look at them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.