AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to Projector market and I was contemplating to buy something not expensive for my basement. Shopping around I found some deals and one of them is a 4 years old Panasonic TH-AE700 with DVDO iScan HD scaler for about four-five hundred dollars. Also a friend of mine will give me a replacement lamp and a ceiling mount for free for the TH-A700 (looks like is the Japanese version of the PT-AE700u).

Is this package something to buy on these days or are to old technology and I should look for something else newer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you can see the projector in action and make sure the panels are properly aligned, colors are correct, etc, I would say to keep it in mind. If the current bulb has high hours, offer less. I would pay $400 max and try cheaper if it's closer to the end of the bulb life.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaycurse /forum/post/15500550

If you can see the projector in action and make sure the panels are properly aligned, colors are correct, etc, I would say to keep it in mind. If the current bulb has high hours, offer less. I would pay $400 max and try cheaper if it's closer to the end of the bulb life.

Looks like I had wrong information: the projector does not come with a DVDO iScan HD scaler but it does have a spare lamp.

Anyway the DVDO iScan HD scaler is so important? Does it make a big PQ difference?

What’s the price for a DVDO iScan HD scaler ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The iScan was worth the price of admission itself. Scalers can make a big difference in the quality of non-HD sources. I think the 700 had a decent scaler built-in, but I could be completely wrong on that matter. At any rate, the AE700 with a spare lamp is probably worth somewhere around $400. Throw in the free lamp and mount from your friend and you've probably got a good deal.

In addition, because you're looking for a projector for your basement, an LCD is a good choice. That way, you can be sure it will fit your surroundings. LCDs are far more flexible in their placement possibilities. Many DLPs simply won't fit in a low ceilinged basement.

Jim

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/15501087

The iScan was worth the price of admission itself. Scalers can make a big difference in the quality of non-HD sources. I think the 700 had a decent scaler built-in, but I could be completely wrong on that matter. At any rate, the AE700 with a spare lamp is probably worth somewhere around $400. Throw in the free lamp and mount from your friend and you've probably got a good deal.

In addition, because you're looking for a projector for your basement, an LCD is a good choice. That way, you can be sure it will fit your surroundings. LCDs are far more flexible in their placement possibilities. Many DLPs simply won't fit in a low ceilinged basement.

Jim

Do you think this projector is way too outdated?

I can get it for $300 ( projector+spare lamp+ceiling mount).

Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you like the picture, go for it. I have the next model (AE900) and I'm still awed each time I turn it on. It's not as if your screen will go blank one day with an error message saying you projector is too old.

For $300, I'm not sure there is any better investment in a HT.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir /forum/post/15501826

Do you think this projector is way too outdated?

I can get it for $300 ( projector+spare lamp+ceiling mount).

Thanks

I'm still running an ae700 in my theater, while it's numbers don't stack up against the newest projectors, it is still more than capable of throwing a fantastic image, feed it some blu-ray and you'll be blown away. I see you're in Toronto, you're welcome to see mine in action if that will help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostgoth /forum/post/15505418

I'm still running an ae700 in my theater, while it's numbers don't stack up against the newest projectors, it is still more than capable of throwing a fantastic image, feed it some blu-ray and you'll be blown away. I see you're in Toronto, you're welcome to see mine in action if that will help.

So you're happy with it. How big is the screen you're using? Also how is IQ on regular DVDs?

Is there anything else I should check before buying it? (ex: revision version, etc)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Like most others have said already, for $300 you cannot hardly go wrong. Even if it only lasts for a year or two. I had an AE700 that I had to replace after about 3000 hours of use. LCD panels started to fail. Just make sure you have a chance to see this unit operational. Look at the image for any discoloration that could indicate either dust problems or LCD failure. If the picture is uniform then I say go for it. You will have a very nice unit for the price. There are extensive tweak threads you can look up here that will help you to get the most out of it.

Good Luck!

Stace

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman /forum/post/15505692

Like most others have said already, for $300 you cannot hardly go wrong. Even if it only lasts for a year or two. I had an AE700 that I had to replace after about 3000 hours of use. LCD panels started to fail. Just make sure you have a chance to see this unit operational. Look at the image for any discoloration that could indicate either dust problems or LCD failure. If the picture is uniform then I say go for it. You will have a very nice unit for the price. There are extensive tweak threads you can look up here that will help you to get the most out of it.

Good Luck!

Stace

I will see it working next Tuesday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir /forum/post/15505534

So you're happy with it. How big is the screen you're using? Also how is IQ on regular DVDs?

Is there anything else I should check before buying it? (ex: revision version, etc)?

Thanks.

screen size is 106" diagonal on a diy HCCV screen, viewing distance is approximately 11'. The last firmware revision is 1.07 which is very important if you plan on using hdmi, you can get it flashed in Mississauga @ professional electronics. I would look at a plain white screen, check for colour uniformity and for fixed panel noise in the image. SD looks great on this projector although a crappy dvd will look really crappy at 106"

oh yeah and don't forget to look for dead pixels, which would be a deal killer for me....

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir /forum/post/15505728

I will see it working next Tuesday.

Thanks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that the japanese model came with japanese menus only. Anyway, $300 it's the cost of a new lamp.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostgoth /forum/post/15505867

screen size is 106" diagonal on a diy HCCV screen, viewing distance is approximately 11'. The last firmware revision is 1.07 which is very important if you plan on using hdmi, you can get it flashed in Mississauga @ professional electronics. I would look at a plain white screen, check for colour uniformity and for fixed panel noise in the image. SD looks great on this projector although a crappy dvd will look really crappy at 106"

oh yeah and don't forget to look for dead pixels, which would be a deal killer for me....

Yes I will use HDMI for BD played on a PS3 and also a HTPC.

Is there any information on how to flash the revision to the latest one?(I'm a system engineer so I'm familiar with computers).

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To flash the projector you have to build a circuit, and you need a program. The site was in french, and I can't seem to find it now. There also used to sell the cable. I mad the circuit and flashed mine, not hard to do if you can understand an electronic diagram.

A good test to do is to enter the service mode, (the info on how to do this is in this forum). In service mode you can see alignment patterns, and full casts of RED GREEN and BLUE so you can see really easy if there is any damage to the LCD panels. Usually dark spots means the unit needs a cleaning. I've cleaned my unit 2 times in 4 years.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbc /forum/post/15510020

To flash the projector you have to build a circuit, and you need a program. The site was in french, and I can't seem to find it now. There also used to sell the cable. I mad the circuit and flashed mine, not hard to do if you can understand an electronic diagram.

A good test to do is to enter the service mode, (the info on how to do this is in this forum). In service mode you can see alignment patterns, and full casts of RED GREEN and BLUE so you can see really easy if there is any damage to the LCD panels. Usually dark spots means the unit needs a cleaning. I've cleaned my unit 2 times in 4 years.

How can you clean the unit? There is a specific procedure for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have an AE700 in my theater and I still like it a lot. However, the upgrade bug has bitten and I'll be replacing it with the Epson 7500UB shortly. The only "issue" I have is that my lamp is at 2100 hours and I'm afraid it'll die one of these days, leaving me projectorless.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I'd want the scaler as much or more than that projo.

I'd tell him to make a package deal or no deal and see what he says. That scaler is not worth that much anymore. I guess he may wat to keep it. I have one of the DVI only model of this scaler and I don't use it anymore because of the PITA factor of it being DVI only.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/15536833

I'd want the scaler as much or more than that projo.

I'd tell him to make a package deal or no deal and see what he says. That scaler is not worth that much anymore. I guess he may wat to keep it. I have one of the DVI only model of this scaler and I don't use it anymore because of the PITA factor of it being DVI only.

Now I'm wondering if it will be a better idea to spend a little more money and buy an older high end 720p projector instead of this one.

Is the IQ so much better on those? (please see the thread below)

"YES older high end 720p DLP is better than current entry level 720p ... "

Projectors like (many of these were not high end) :

Marantz 12s4/12s3/4001/8600

InFocus 7210/IN76/IN78

Sharp XV-Z12000 original & mkII/DT-500/DT-510/3000/3100

Optoma H79/H78dc3/HD7100

Mitsubishi HC3000/HC3100

Samsung 710

BenQ 8720

Sim2 Domino 30H

Sony VW50/VW100

Offer better IQ than these entry level units :

Optoma HD72/HD70/HD65

Mitsubishi HD1000/HC1500 (probably add the new HC1600)

Epson HC 720/400/810
Panasonic (any 720p LCD offering)

Sanyo (any 720p LCD offering)

Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts