AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic TH42PD50 and I have an interesting issue with it that's probably user idiocy, but I thought I would ask in here.

On my old 16:9 RP TV, when I put a widescreen DVD on, the screen would automatically adjust and I would get perfect widescreen. But with the Panasonic, it stays in 4:3 mode, and manually selecting "WIDE" makes the image wide but also stretched. The only thing that works is "ZOOM" but the image quality is kind of poor.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Shouldn't it automatically adjust, and shouldn't it not be stretched in WIDE mode?

PS: I'm using S-Video inputs.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I think it is because you need component inputs or better to get widescreen. Maybe someone will know why it was working on your RP, it should not have been able to autosense that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a receiver that supports component video, and I don't really plan to spend a ton of cash to get the support either.

My question is: why does the "FULL" mode on the unit display widescreen DVDs as stretched?

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalGoat
I don't have a receiver that supports component video, and I don't really plan to spend a ton of cash to get the support either.

My question is: why does the "FULL" mode on the unit display widescreen DVDs as stretched?
That would most likely be due to the way you have your DVD set. The TV is only displaying the signal the way it's getting it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same TV. I have found that "zoom" mode is best for viewing DVDs. On some DVDs it will fill out perfectly but on other widescreen movies it will leave small black bars at the top and bottom. The 42PD50U manaul states that "zoom" is the preferred mode for DVD viewing. "Full" is stretched mode for this TV.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Pannys are rather limited in this regard...but greater screen size options on other sets aren't always implemented to yield better quality than what Panny provides. My Zenith has two preset Zoom modes but I only use them sometimes with 4:3 and rarely ever with DVD's as the PQ suffers depending on setting. There is another one called Cinema Zoom used with DVDs which makes any remaining bars (depending on OAR) a little smaller with no visible distortion in the picture. I use that on occasion.

In your case I would run the video connection direct with better Cable type and forget the receiver video switching for this input. You should notice an improvement over S-Vid but there is no guarantee

·
Registered
92 Posts
It sounds like you have the dvd player on the wrong setting. In your dvd player setting, you should have it set to 16x9 or anamorphic.

For your info, it does not matter whether you have component or s-video to turn this setting on. You WILL need components however if you want to watch your dvd's in PROGRESSIVE mode.

Once you have your dvd player set to 16x9, you'll definitely notice an improvement in picture quality. I suggest however that you should connect your dvd player DIRECTLY to the tv using components, and then using progressive mode to. You should definitely see another improvement in PQ.

Hope the 16x9 setting fixes your stretch problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.