AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a process of purchasing the Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY unit and would like to use it as soon as possible. Here are my questions:

I. I have a stereo system near by, what do I need to connect between the audio output of the unit and my stereo (rather than another set of speakers,) is a L & R RCA cable sufficient?

II. Since there is no internal tuner, I am planning on connecting either the output of my Jerrold cable box (coax) or a connection of the output of the cable box to the input of a VCR and the output of the VCR as the input to the Plasma. What do you think? What type of connectors should I prepare?

III. I also have a DVD which requires an additional input. Again what do I need for it? Am I better of using a switching box? What did you do?

IV. Should I think about any additional equipment tp make life easier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, Artek

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
The TH-42PWD5UY (Ind) has BNC Type Connectors not RCA. You have to get BNC-RCA adapters - Usually local Radio Shack have them. ( Here's the link ) or buy RCA/BNC cables

I- Yes

II- If the Jerold Cable Box has Composite Outputs you can use that. Otherwise use the composite outputs of the VCR to the Plasma

III- Use Component Cables from the DVD straight to Plasma.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will F/U

·
Registered
6 Posts
Answering what I can as I just set one of these up myself:

I. The 42PWD5UY doesn't have audio output except for direct speaker connections. Check the Panasonic brochure here for more information (on page six of the brochure, page 4 of the PDF file, on the left is the back panel of the monitor).

III. Again, check the back panel in the brochure. There are 3 input selections (Video, PC, Component). Note that for each, you can use all the connections but only one type will work at once. On the video you can connect s-video and/or composite video. On the PC you can connect 15 pin or 9 pin (?I think?). On the Component, you can connect component video and/or direct RGB signal video. Each of the 3 only have 1 audio input. Like Glauco said, all the video inputs (except PC and S-video) are BNC so you'll need adapters if you don' t have them.

IV. Here's the additional equipment I've gotten so far (week 1):

A/V receiver (Component in from DVD player, component in from XBox, S-video in from PC, component out to Panny monitor, handles all audio directly).

RCA to BNC adapters for component cable from A/V receiver to monitor.

I don't have a STB yet, still researching. I build a solid stand but due to size considerations I may have to bite the bullet and order a Peerless or similar tabletop stand. How in the heck do they keep the depth at around 14"? Seems like it would be unstable to me...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
RCA to BNC Adaptors: It is not necessary to use these if you have a bnc/rca component interconnect. The adaptors, depending on their resistance characteristics, could theoretically degrade PQ. I have both. I am comparing them over the next few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.