AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me thank all the members of this forum for giving me, a complete newcomer to all this, the information and courage (literally!) to purchase a plasma tv. Also, my experiences with forum vendors has been first class.

I have a Panasonic TH50PHD6UY and a Hughes HTL-HD receiver with satellite service. I also purchased a DVI connection and have inserted it into slot 1. I get a "no signal" message when trying to use the DVI. I get a beautiful signal using the set's component connection, however. I know from doing a search that there have been some problems with DVI with this plasma and some receivers. Is this something I've done wrong ... or maybe something I haven't done, like a setting somewhere? Or is it a problem with this hardware combination? If it's a problem, what would you recommend? I've got a progressive scan DVD (Panasonic) with a component connection, and I really don't want to be physically moving cables around under the set whenever I want to watch it. Should I get a second component connection? Any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
500 Posts
no signal means no connection or no output. So your Hughes is not sending DVI or your cable is bad. I am not familar with the Hughes, need to find out if it is capable and enabled. And / or swap your cable.

My A/V receiver does my component switching for me. So you could have your DVD and your Hughes connected via component to your receiver and then component from your receiver to your 6UY. Then change your receiver back and forth from TV to DVD. Receivers with component switching start at $300.

But you still probably want to fix your DVI problem since you have the card and the cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On the back of the New Hughes HD receiver there is a toggle switch which allows you to select between Component Video and DVI. Good chance that you have not moved it to the DVI position. It comes from factory set to Component.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your reply ... that's the great thing about this forum.

Lien_Master: You hit the nail right on the head. I toggled the switch to DVI, and bingo! A beautiful picture.

Again, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.